Chapter 39: The Orc that Remains

(3rd person POV)
Meanwhile in the woodland realm...

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads, a shadow that grows in the dark." Thranduil begins as he paces the throne room and Legolas is holding the surviving Orc by the neck, dagger poised. "A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was; so will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth."

"You were tracking a company of fourteen dwarves. Why?" Legolas asked.

"Not fourteen." The Orc growled. "Not anymore. The black haired archer and the scrawny wench! We stuck the boy with a morgul shaft, he'll be choking on it soon. And the princess? She'll be lucky to die before her bastard father's eyes."

Both Legolas and Tauriel had the look of worry stuck on their faces

"Answer the question filth." Tauriel growled

"Sha hakhtiz khunai-go, Golgi! (I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!)" The Orc hissed and in response Tauriel whipped out her dagger blades in a threatening way. Legolas grinned despite the setting of which they were in.

"I would not antagonize her" Legolas advised

You like killing things, orc?" Tauriel sneered with venom in her voice. "You like death? Then let me give it to you! Spitting the last words as she advanced, dagger poised and ready to dispose the wretch from his deplorable head when-

Farn! Tauriel, ego! Gwao hi.(Enough! Tauriel, leave! Go now) Thranduil spoke, and the room became almost silent save the Orc's foul breathing.

With a small sneer in her face towards the monster, she left.

"I do not care about two dead dwarves." Legolas slightly paled at the certainty of his father's words. "Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free.

Legolas cleared his throat to speak, and if he slightly tightened his grip on his dagger, no one noticed. "You had orders to kill them - Why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?

The dwarf runt will never be king. The Orc spat.

"King?" Legolas' eyebrows rose as he figured out where the dwarves were headed, one dwarf in particular. "There is no king under the mountain nor will there ever be. None would dare enter Erebor, whilst the dragon lives.

"You know nothing! Your world will burn!" The Orc rasped.

"What are you talking about? Speak!" Legolas seethed, his voice portraying a hint of panic

Our time has come again." The monster replied. "My master serves the One. Do you understand now, Elfling?" With this he turned to look up at Thranduil, who had resumed pacing, "Death is upon you. The flames of war are upon you-

The Orc was cut off as a flash of silver Elven steel severed his head from his decomposing body. Legolas sighed in disapproval.

"Why did you do that? You promised to set him free."

"And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." Thranduil replied cooly as he stomped on the decapitated Orc's feet to stop the body from twitching.

"There was more the Orc could tell us." Legolas sighed in frustration, His only link to finding out why they were targeting-

"There was nothing more he could tell me." Thranduil interrupted his thoughts, as he turns to walk away, "The company of Thorin Oakenshield is of no concern of mine. Neither is the scrawny brainless wench that tagged along with them"

Legolas flinched as anger to defend Are-her, but refrained, "What did he mean by the 'flames of war'?"

Thranduil stops walking and turns to address his son, "It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great it will destroy all before it. With that he turns again to address his elven guard.

I want the watch doubled at all our borders. All roads, all rivers. Nothing moves but I hear of it." As the guards turn to leave Thranduil looks at Legolas once again "No one enters this kingdom, and no one leaves it.

The guards nod, and Legolas just watches in silence as his father descends the stairs.

Holo in ennyn! Tiro i defnin hain na ganed en-Aran. (Close the gate! Keep it sealed by order of the King.) Legolas speaks to the gatekeepers as he walks to the entrance of the elven kingdom.

As he turns around to return to the heart of the kingdom, one guard speaks out, Man os Tauriel?" (What about Tauriel?)

Legolas stops, dreading the answer he already knows will come, "Man os sen?" (What about her?)

Edevín eb enedhor na gû a megil. En ú-nandollen. (Subtitle: She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned.) The guard replies.

Legolas' anxiety only heightened after that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay... Here it is, the chapter I have promised since forever.... I'm so terribly sorry for taking so long. But here is the next chapter that will hopefully resolve my writers block. And I hope I can get in another chapter before my classes start. If not, do not fear, this story WILL BE completed at one point, that I swear to you. I hope this chapter is adequate for right now, and I hope to see you all soon in the next chapter.

Namarië
-TC110

Please rate, comment, like, share, etc (👍🏻👍🏻 in the comment section isn't discouraged either 😁)