Chapter 30: Beorn

(Arulla's POV)

I woke up before dawn, the sky was still dark but some light was creeping out by the horizon. I turn onto my other side and reached out in front of me, thinking that it was empty, only to find my hand colliding with a soft mat of thick dark hair. My eyes shoot open, hoping that I didn't wake him up, I don't think I did. Dwarves are relatively hard sleepers, but by my observations, Thorin isn't, so it caught me by surprise that my hand in his scalp hadn't woken him.

"My head still hurts you know." I hear a mumble in the pillow beside my ear. I chuckle and quickly withdraw my hand, "Go back to sleep. It's still dark out." And I carefully try to unhook myself from Thorin's grip. It didn't work because his grip tightened around my waist.

"Not unless you come to sleep with me. It's the only way I know you're safe." Thorin mumbled again, fatigue could be heard in his voice a mile away.

"I must do a few things first, then I will go back to sleep I promise. Please Adad, you need to sleep."

Thorin nodded and as he inhaled and exhaled deeply, he was asleep by the time I made it outside.

I looked out into the pale lit sky. I remember the few times I was here with Beorn... I had to come here when I was first given Amdir... she was so sick... But I brought her to Beorn and he helped me take care of her and raise her and even train her. Oh how I miss my beautiful steed now.

"Hello amagurith."

I turn and Beorn is standing in the doorway and I smile brightly up at him. "Hello Beorn."

"Not coming back in to sleep?"

I shake my head, "No. I need to think on some things... I need to clear my head." Beorn nodded his head in understanding and I turned back around to watch the slow rising sun. My eyes move to the forest that lay ahead of us and I frown.

I don't know how long I stood there, but I heard slow but heavy steps behind me, I didn't even turn around. "Our home is so far away." I smile sadly. Thorin chuckles and wraps a tight arm around my waist, I wince slightly but he doesn't notice. "It's not that far Haban."

"But it feels like the finish line keeps moving away, and I can't catch up to it... It feels so distant and impossible obstacles block our path. And I'm scared."

Thorin pressed a kiss to my temple and smiled, "No one will hurt you.. They'd have to go through me first. There is no reason to be scared. After all you're the 'Prince's Gem.' "

"Prince's Gem?" I hear Beorn behind me. I turn around and smile slightly, "Yes Beorn. My true name is Arulla Návíán Durin, the daughter of Thorin son of Thráin, son of Thrór, The King Under the Mountain. And ever since I was born, I have always been my father's favorite gem." I said proudly, elbowing Thorin gently.

Beorn never smiled throughout the entire time I spoke, he only nodded and moved from the door speaking gruffly, "Breakfast is on the table. Amagurith, could you please grab the milk and honey?"

I nod, "Of course." And I walk off towards the edge of the house to grab the things that were asked for.

(Beorn's POV)

'She couldn't be. No... that wouldn't... I need to speak to Gandalf before the other dwarves wake up'

"Gandalf!" I whispered. The wizard turned his head and looked at me curiously. I nod my head off to the side and walk outside the door. Gandalf follows soon after, and he shuts the door to make sure we aren't bothered.

"What is it Beorn? Is it the dwarves? I'm so terribly sorry to put you in this situation but we had no where else to go and the Defiler is hunting us and-"