Chapter 16: Missing Ponies???

(Arulla's P.O.V)

The next morning I woke up and found myself very warm. I tried to get up but something was holing me down. I get up again and I feel Thorin's cloak slide down off my arms. I smile and quickly wrap Thorin's cloak up and set it next to his things, and swiftly begin to fold up my things and pack them into Amdir.

While I was saddling up, I here rustling behind me. I tug on the dwarven dagger that I hid in my sleeve and whipped around, in sheathing the dagger and aimed to injure. A firm hand caught my wrist, and held my hand still. My dwarven dagger was only inches from his face.

I quickly retracted my hand and returned the dagger back to its place in my sleeve. "I'm so sorry Thorin. Please forgive me." I said cowardly, I turned back around and quickly began to stroke Amdir's mane.

"Thank you." I hear him say behind me. I turn around slowly and raise my gaze to his. I was confused, 'Thorin was apologizing' I thought to myself, "For what?" I replied. He smiled and spoke in a hushed tone again,

"For comforting me when I needed it." I smiled and bowed my head,

"Anytime."

He bowed his head and began to walk away. I ran to him and embraced him again. He was hesitant at first but complied after a few moments.

"You embrace me like a daughter would her father. Why?" He whispered in my ear. I sniggered in his sleeve and softly said,

"Because-" No!, "- I haven't known the love of a father for a long time. And you're the closest thing I have."

He raised his head from my shoulders and looked at me, "Why me? Where is your father now?"

I pushed myself from his chest and smiled into his eyes, "Why you? Because you know what it's like to love a daughter and as far as I know he's been long lost." I smiled and he smiled at me knowing that I was right.

I pushed myself from his grip and for one long moment unbeknownst to me, for I didn't know what I was doing, I slowly reached my hand up and delicately entwined my fingers in his beard.

He let my fingers stay for only a moment and then he yanked my fingers free. I stared at him apologetically and turned to face Amdir. I slowly stroked her spine and threw my saddle on her. I never heard his steps retreat so I knew he was behind me.

"Why did you do that?" he asked gruffly. His anger had soon returned.

I sighed and turned around. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean- Please forgive me. I know that it is forbidden to touch a man's beard but I didn't know what I was thinking. I'm-"

He held his hand up for me to stop talking, I did.

"Give me your dagger and go scout ahead. I will give it back to you when I please. That is your punishment, as a warning. Now go!"

I quickly took my dagger from my sleeve and held it out to him he took it and I didn't know why he wanted it but I didn't care. I mounted Amdir and rode off.

(Thorin's P.O.V)

I stare at her retreating figure and I keep myself calm until she's gone. I quickly grab the dagger from my pocket and inspect it. If it was what I thought on the hilt of it would engrave "Améra, Princess of the Iron Hills" in Khuzdul. I drop the dagger when I slowly glance at the hilt. My heart beating faster in my chest.

I look back to where Aranel was last seen and I grab my things and quickly mount my pony and follow her. The company followed only moments behind me. I wanted to ask Aranel where she had found that dagger, but the answer I seeked was almost far from impossible. Or at least I hoped.