Chapter 9: Bree

(Gandalf's P.O.V.)

As we make our way to Bagend, I can't help but feel happy and proud that I was able to convince Arulla, or Aranel to come with me on this quest. I hope that when she sees him, she will be filled with joy, love, and happiness. Yes I do understand that her life in Rivendell was fine and quaint, but I also know that a rose can't fit in with daisies. She needs to be reunited with her father. She needs to know that her family is not gone from this world. But most of all, she needs to know who Aranel truly is. I nod my head in agreement and quickly look over to Aranel. Her head was bent over, her hands were loosly hanging on to the reigns. I lean over and I could barely hear the quiet snoring. She was asleep. It was almost midnight so I gently tapped her shoulder and she stirred.

"What is it Gandalf? Have we reached the Shire?" She asked groggily.

I smiled, "No dear one, but you are very tired. There is a town about a mile away. I was already planning to stop there, so can you stay awake until then?"

She nodded slowly and held a tighter grip on her reigns. I tapped her shoulder again, she looked up at me, I smiled at looked at the sky, and then back at her.

"Happy Birthday Arulla." She smiled and nodded her head.

"Thank you Gandalf."

She turned her head to the stars and sighed,

"I wish my father was here."

I smirked, but because of the poor lighting, she didn't see it,

"He is." I said.

She quickly turned her head back towards me, her eyes filled with confusion. I reached my arm over to her and placed my hand over top of her chest,

"In here."

She smiled sadly and I let my arm slide from her chest. We continued on until we reached a small town by the name of Bree, it was a village that was right by the borders of the Shire. Tomorrow morining at first light, we will travel to Bagend and find our hobbit.

We rented a room from the Prancing Pony Inn and I told Aranel to stay in the room and get some rest. She didn't even argue with me and quickly took off her clothes, except for her undergarments and fell onto the bed. She was asleep before I left the room to go down to the pub.

I walk down the steps and searched for the person I knew I would find somewhere in here. In a way, you can say that I planned for us to stop here just so I could talk with this gentleman. If I didn't, than this whole thing would've been for nothing. I see the man sit down and order a simple bread and cheese with an ale. I see two people staring at him and I quietly make my way over to him. He's about to draw his weapon when I reach him.

"Mind if I join you?" I ask him solomly.

I give him no time to answer when I sit down. I lightly grab the wench's arm and say,

"I'll have the same." She nods and walks away.

I turn my head and look back at the man,

"I should introduce myself my name is Gandalf."

He just stares, "Gandalf the Grey" I quietly announce.

He nods, "I know who you are."

I chuckle, "Well, this is a fine chance..." He glares at me sternly,

"What brings Thorin Oakenshield to Bree?"

I finally ask. His face softens and he inhales deeply,

"I received word that my father, had been wondering the paths near Dunland."

I looked up in question,