Skills

"What did you think about them?" Damien asked me, rolling up his blood stained sleeves. We had about another half hour drive to the school.

            "Fine," I shrugged not knowing what to think about them. "You said I had other mentors?"

             "Yup. Eric is one of the school's best and I am having him train you since you still need some work." I glowered at my godfather who merely smiled back at me.

             "He will be overseeing your training and occasionally stepping in to make sure you become a well rounded slayer."

            "How old is he?" I wondered out loud.

            "Twenty-one." My godfather answered. "Why?" he arched an eyebrow.

           "No reason, he looks a little young to be mentoring." I rolled my eyes at him.

           "He is and like I said one of the best. He will further improve your skills with vampire tracking and combat. I figured having someone around your age mentoring will help you get along."

             "My age?" I scoffed at him. "He's much older than I am."

              Damien shook his head at me and pulled me into a one-armed hug. I got a whiff of the smelly blood and I almost gagged. The smell was revolting.

              "Darling, you just don't want to attend the school. In a year you will join me."

              "I'd better not have to apply to join you, Damien." My eyes narrowed at him. I knew him all too well. He only worked with the best.

              "You won't." he laughed releasing me. "You have my word, Alexandra. Can you please smile a little bit. You are going to meet the Headmaster and the Second Headmistress. They are excited to have a Matheson back."

              "Duh, it was named after my family. They founded it." I rolled my eyes at him. Why couldn't he understand that it felt like he was shipping me away? I was a good slayer and with him, I could be great.

             "Don't be cocky, Alexandra." He snapped at me. "They are taking you in even when you have no formal training."

            "I was trained by you. What other training do I possibly need?" I scowled at him in return.

           "You will be safe here." Damien scolded with a frown. "I want you to be safe until you turn of age and this is the best place I know." He grasped the bridge of his nose. Uh-oh. He was going annoyed with me and I was only pushing his buttons more. "It will be one year, Alexandra."

           "Yeah, okay." I huffed and turned to the window. "I just proved myself against a Dassir Vampire. What else do I need to prove?" He didn't respond. Vampires were ranked by age. Newborn vampires were between zero and fifty years old and if they were alive, they moved up in rank until they were leading their own clan. The Dassir vampires had their own clans and were typically older than one-hundred fifty years old. The covens were organized and governed by the Sire Vampires. These guys were skilled in not only combat but also abilities. There were other levels of vampires but these were the most dangerous. A sire vampire had killed my parents and my assumption was that the Dassir I had killed worked for that Sire.

Half an hour later after an awkward tension filled car drive, Caleb pulled up to a giant castle with a dense green forest around it. There was plenty of snow on the ground. It was winter time. I was starting at the start of the Spring semester. It wasn't unheard of for some students to enter late close to the last year. Some Houses did like to train their own children before enrolling them into the school. The driveway to the school rounded at the giant front doors. In the middle was a fountain with a statue of three figures. In the middle was my grandmother, Veronica Matheson. In her hand was her famous knife. The other figure had a silver katana in her hand and the other man was wearing a silver suit of armor.