Reaction

There were nurses bustling around in the infirmary. Eric had to stop one of them so she could help me.

               "Well," she huffed, looking me over. Her brown eyes scrutinized me. "You didn't make it a full day and you are already here." she tilted my neck, running her eyes over the wounds. "You are going to be a trouble maker."

               "It wasn't my fault I was attacked by a vampire." I glared at her which only made her mouth twitch.

               "Mmmm no matter. Your father made it two full days on his first day before he was seen. You must have beat the Matheson record." She laughed at me. "Your mother made it almost a year."

              "Glad I carry on the family legacy. Anyway, the bite was shallow, right?" I searched her eyes trying to assess the situation. She nodded.

               "Yes, it will heal in no time. He only grazed your skin. He must have been starving to try to bite you. Vampires have to be out their minds to try to bite one of you." She cleaned up the wound and covered it up. "It will heal in no time." she smiled at me. She also checked me to make sure I hadn't broken anything else before releasing me.

                "I'm sorry for having lost my temper. I know better than that." I couldn't look at Eric because I was embarrassed. He was right. I had to think before acting. If he hadn't stepped in, I would have lost my temper and killed the vampire without getting the necessary information we needed.

              "I know you do." Eric nodded at me. "You let your emotions get the best of you." I took a deep breath so I wouldn't retort but I did give him a dirty look. He hadn't said much to me.

              We walked back to the Slayer's House to find a large gathering. It looked like there were more students standing around.

              "Well it was her fault!" I heard someone yell out. Heads were turning my way. "She brought that vampire here." I opened my mouth to retort but Eric put a hand on my shoulder and I snapped my mouth shut.

"The Mathesons are bad luck. Get her out of here." There were mutterings going around. The Headmaster put his hands up. I noticed that he did tilt his head at Eric. In response, Eric took my arm and dragged me away.

               "How could they possibly think that this was my fault?" I turned to look back at the students who were glaring at me.

               "Well the vampire was coming after you." He retorted. I scoffed, grabbing his arm, to stop him.

               "That was not my fault." I searched his eyes. "It was an accident and yes, the vampire was coming for me but-" He raised his hand cutting me off. I shut my mouth rather surprised by his gesture.

               "You were its target and unfortunately another life got in the way." His eyes narrowed at me and to top it all off his lips were pursued tightly.

               "I get that. Do you agree with what the others are saying? That I shouldn't be allowed here?" I searched his eyes. I had every right to know what he thought about me. He was giving me the impression that he didn't like me very much. We barely knew each other.

              "They are right." he shrugged, looking me dead in the eyes. He didn't even blink as he said it. "You shouldn't be here. Your first night here and you attracted a vampire. How many more people are going to die simply because a Matheson was brought back?" he sounded so angry. He turned to go but I grabbed his shoulder.