Changes

A couple of minutes later, I slipped back into bed. The entire night I wasn't able to sleep, I kept tossing and turning unable to find a comfortable spot. Early in the morning, the nurse appeared at my bedside to look me over.

She made me sat down at the edge of the bed and looked me over. I was aware that there were others standing outside the curtain. They were listening to the nurse. After physically checking me over, she tilted my neck without even telling me.

         "It is going to take awhile to heal." She muttered, running her fingers across the skin. The skin under her fingertips was numb. The only reason that I knew that she was touching my neck was because there was a mirror. The curtain was pulled back slightly and Professor Rogers stepped inside. Her eyes immediately fell on the wound.

        "I can't believe you were bit. Nobody bites a Matheson." She replied in complete surprise. "I thought it was just a rumor." She wasn't even blinking as she stared at my neck.

       "You know?" I was surprised that she was talking about the fact that a vampire had bit me.

       "Of course we know." Professor Rogers and the nurse looked at each other momentarily. My eyebrows immediately furrowed. Something had just passed between them. "Is she going to have to keep that covered?" Professor Rogers pointed at my neck.

      "You can if you want, dear." The nurse shrugged. "That is up to you. I would take it easy the next couple of days. If you start feeling a little off-"

     "Off?" I repeated wondering what she meant. That didn't make sense. The only thing that would be 'off' would be if I were turning into a vampire. There was no way that I could become a vampire. I hadn't taken any blood from the vampire who bit me. 

"Lethargic. Nausea. Anything that doesn't feel like your usual self." The nurse smiled politely but it only made me frown.

       "Alright, I'll keep that mind. Am I free to go?" I asked them getting up from the bed. It was better that I did not spend anymore time in here. "The vampire didn't take a lot of blood and besides the wound I feel perfectly fine."

      "No I want to keep you one more night. You will join classes on Tuesday morning."

      "Are you kidding?" I sighed heavily. "I already missed the first trip off campus. I can't stay here until Tuesday. I feel fine."

       "You are staying." The nurse told me sternly with raised eyebrows. My mouth opened up to argue but she pointed at the bed. "Get back into the bed. I will let Damien know." She backed out as I as told.

       "I feel fine, Professor." I groaned trying hard to not roll my eyes at her. Spending time in the infirmary was completely ridiculous. I was perfectly fine. The wound had closed and there were no broken bones.

       "She just wants to keep an eye on you." She avoided looking into my eyes. "Do you need anything? I think Damien said he was going to come up to see you before he left." she smoothed down my covers and placed it on my legs.

      "No I don't." I mumbled with a frown. She stopped moving and I looked up at her. Her eyes were on my blade that I had left on the stand. I had washed it last night. Her eyes flickered to me, and then back to the knife.

      "I'll go see what Damien is up to." she cleared her throat and backed away. I could hear other voices in the room so I got up from the bed and pulled my curtain back slightly. There were some people standing in the middle of the infirmary talking. Professor Rogers walked past them without saying a word. I stepped closer to the group but I stopped when Zachariah Lancer turned around.