Vegan

Something in the air caught my attention. I froze, shuffling on my feet to do a full circle. There was a soft barely noticeable smell.

      "Do you smell that?" I whispered raising my hand.

      "Not here. And no I don't smell anything. There aren't any vampires."

      "Can you smell them too?" Only a handful of Slayers could smell them. I knew Eric could.

      "Yes of course." Christopher wrapped his fingers around my hand, gently lowering it. "There are no vampires. We've got the place covered tonight." I got a whiff of the scent again. I turned again in my spot trying to find the source. It was barely there. The smell of alcohol was more overpowering. Christopher was right, the smell of Ordines was low. There were quite a bit of Slayers in here tonight. 

I shook my head trying to forget about the scent. The scent was probably lingering in the club from earlier.

      "Nevermind, something smelled strange. Let me go to bathroom and we can go downstairs." I quickly scanned the room trying to make sure it had been nothing. Maybe someone was wearing a strange cologne or perfume. 

I went into the bathroom to catch my breath. There were a lot of strong smells. The club was packed with people. The smell of blood was becoming overwhelming. There was no room to breath.

I leaned forward on the counter sinking my fingers into the cold granite.

        We would only be here for an hour or two. Next time, I would make up some kind of excuse to not come out. It had been too soon.

I drenched a paper towel with cold water so that I could press it to my forehead. I took a few deep breaths.

        "You were bitten."

A squeak escaped from my mouth. The worst part was that I had jumped back and was now pressed against the wall. 

The Second Slayer was standing in front of me, staring. He was still wearing contacts. If he was a true vegan vampire that never had drank human blood he would have copper eyes with an outer red ring. They were easily distinguishable just like vegetarian vampires.

      "I knew I smelled a vampire."

      "So did I." he retorted placing a glass of water on the counter. "It's easier if you stay hydrated and well fed."

      "What do you want?" I snapped composing myself. My heart was still beating hard against my chest.

      "You aren't more than seventeen....eighteen?"

I didn't say anything. He leaned against the counter with his arms across his chest. He was still wearing the Slayer uniform.

      "Eighteen," I told him tightlipped. "How long have you been a vampire for?" He wasn't a threat to me but instincts were saying to kill him.

       "Eighty-four years." He answered not lifting his eyes from me. "I was turned at thirty-two. Earlier tonight, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I saw the bite on your neck."

       "What is it that you want? Damien named you Second Slayer so if you are trying to blackmail me-"

       "I have no intentions of blackmailing you." He lifted is lip in dislike not liking what I said. "I had to meet you that's all. The vampires ran for cover when they heard you were here."

       "You didn't." My lips pursued not liking the way he was eyeing my neck. It was not out of hunger but curiosity. I should have kept my jacket on.