Day of Submission

We had two weeks until finals for the year. There was about another week of instruction left before study week started. Classes were uneventful and boring. Training sessions were cut shorter and shorter to accommodate studying.

Once instruction ended, most of the time was spent in the library or in our respective Houses. If we were in the library, Evan would join us. He was in his final year so we studied for classes that we had together.

         Because Rachel had joined the school with only three weeks left, some professors were giving her no final exams. A few had written a shorter modified version for the material she had been given.

         I had also received a note from Damien stating that we were going to have a talk when he came to visit after finals. I knew what it was about. There was no need for him to have a talk. After finals, students that were old enough could submit their names so they could be considered for a Chain. All students were eligible at eighteen years old. If they were selected then they left to join the Hunters. If not, then they came back for a final year or to instruct. Damien was going to talk to me about submitting my name for the First Chain. At one of our study sessions, Evan had mentioned that he and his sister were submitting their own names to the Trackers even though they wouldn't be able to Hunt. They would most likely be given some menial task in the Coalition. I was nervous because I still didn't know what I was going to do.

Damien was going to tell me that I had to submit my name to join First Chain. If I were accepted and all members voted unanimously, I would become First Slayer.

The Coalition was mine to lead. Damien would step down and so would Caleb Lancer. The Lancers were going to revolt. I didn't want trouble.

        Eric, Lydia nor Uther had mentioned anything about the Chains. I knew that they were going to submit their names if I submitted mine. Their success was now unfortunately tied to mine. Whatever I did was going to affect them.

If I joined Ninth Chain, they would automatically be selected into it. It was too difficult to move up. So I had to be smart.

After my last final, Lydia had given me time off. I was not going to train because she was going to go home with Uther. Eric was leaving to see his father too. That left me until Damien told me what I was going to do.

Professor Burns was going to stay at the school to keep training Rachel and Brianna. They had a lot to catch up on. Fortunately for me, I wasn't a Burns so she wouldn't train me unless Damien asked for the favor. I didn't want to join them so I had a plan.

         "I'm going to submit my name." I told everybody at the dinner table. Eric and Lydia turned from their conversation to stare. Louis had his fork halfway to his mouth. Uther was still eating. He didn't seem surprised. "You should think about doing the same."

        "To which Chain?" Lydia asked cautiously.

        "First," I cleared my throat picking up my napkin and then settling it down. "Damien isn't going to accept anything else. Don't tell him anything. I'll give him the news." I started to eat. "I'll give everybody the news after finals." 

Tomorrow was Friday and I only had Vampire Physiology to write for. Damien was going to get here on Saturday morning for the submission. I guess I would know what I was doing for the summer then.

         "You can't change your mind in August." Eric cleared his throat. "You know that."

        "Yup, I'm aware of the rules." I chewed, cleaning up my mouth. Submissions to join a Chain or Order were in May but selection was in August. There was no going back once a selection was made. "So submit your names to the First Chain. Senior Slayer should open up and I think two other positions are opening up too. Damien said he would step down or retire."