New Friends

After dinner, I made my way up to my room but I realized that Lydia hadn't been at dinner. Her friends had been there without her. She was probably in her room still upset.

I turned back around and went to the kitchen because there were refrigerators loaded up with snacks. I picked out two pints of ice cream and went to find her. Ice cream always made me feel better. The girls' side was really bright and open and that surprised me. There were gorgeous lacy white curtains hanging on one side. All the girls' rooms had their names on the door so it was easy to find Lydia. I knocked on the door but nobody answered.

         "Lydia." I called adjusting the pints in my arms. There was the sound of a noise blowing and the door opened. Her eyes were bloodshot. "Can I come in?"

         "Right now isn't a good time." she sniffed, cleaning up her nose.

         "I got ice cream." I held up the pints for her to see. She stepped back letting me. Her room was done in pink and white which was surprising. I was expecting black and red. Those were the Slayer colors. Her room was neat and organized except for the tissues on her bed and floor.

        "Here." I held out a spoon and pint for her as she crawled into bed. "Don't cry, he isn't worth it."

        "I know that." she sobbed opening the cookies and cream. "And I feel so stupid because I don't cry." She took a giant spoonful and popped into her mouth. "I don't cry over guys. That is pathetic." She sobbed loudly wiping her face. Her mascara was running down her face. "It might sound kind of ironic since my favorite color is pink but I don't- you know....I'm not a crier." She took another mouthful of ice cream. Tears spilled down her face as she ate.

Slowly, once I knew she wasn't going to kick me out, I opened the lid to my own pint of ice cream.

"We always talked about becoming Slayers together. Hunting together. He got a position already and completely left me behind." She burst into tears again. It was awkward but I reached out to pat her shoulder. "Should I break up with him?" she asked once she could speak again.

         "I don't know." It was shocking that she was asking me that question. We weren't friends. "My suggestion is talk to him and clear things up with him. I don't personally like him. He's a jerk."

        "We were all mean to you because we were jealous." Her tearful eyes locked with mine. "You are clearly better than all of us. Most of us especially someone like me that has applied to be a Slayer and was rejected has to work ten times harder while things are natural for you. Eric got in the second time." she sighed heavily. A spoonful was back in her mouth.

        "Don't compare yourself to me." I told her trying to make her feel better. "Like you said, I'm a Matheson. I was born into this." I let out a low laugh while shaking my head.

       "I'd give anything to have your skills." She mumbled enviously.

        "Don't say that. You should ask my godfather what you are lacking. He'd tell you but listen while Eric has to deal with me, you have a real shot of impressing my godfather. Eric and Uther had to negotiate a deal to teach me but you can show him what kind of a Slayer you can be. Just because he chose them to instruct me doesn't mean that they are the perfect Slayer. There are five of them with different skills teaching me. Eric isn't perfect because if he was, he'd be the only instructor I would have." I reached for her hand and squeezed it.

       "You are absolutely right." Lydia's sad eyes suddenly lifted up. "I shouldn't be crying over him. I'm way smarter than he is. I'm first in our class in academics. I'll talk to your godfather. Thanks, Alex." she smiled at me. It was a genuine friendly smile.