Attack from Behind

It took awhile for me to pull myself together. Once I had taken a few more breaths and was much calmer, I made my way to my room. It was late in the evening, but I was not tired. In fact still felt energetic. I changed my route and headed for the track to at least get a good run in.

My knife was in my room I was going to get it but decided against it. It was for the best that I just head to the track.

I made it to the track, and I sat on the ground to stretch. My back touched the ground and I stared up at sky. There were clouds overhead. It felt like it was going to rain.

        "Alex!" I heard my name being called in front of me. My feet froze in their spot. My body sprang upwards. I didn't recognize the voice. There were footsteps behind me and I turned to see three figures with covered faces coming towards me.

       "What?" I called out to them but one of the figures rammed their body into me and I fell on my back. The wind was knock out of me and I cringed trying to catch my breath.

        "Bitch! Leave the school!" I heard a loud voice. I didn't have time to call out her name because a kick landed into my abdomen.

       "You are going to get us all killed." My face was spat on. I was clutching my stomach, trying to get up. It was so painful because the wind had been knocked out of me. My arm was pulled roughly upward and I was suddenly dragged along the grass.

A foot was thrusted into my abdomen again. A groan escaped from my mouth. My feet were gathered together and I was lifted up from the ground. My hands were tied together as I struggled to get them to release me. There was sharp laugh from someone. Two strong hands were carrying me while there was someone else following them.

       "Let me go!" I screamed, trying to lift up my feet. My body wiggled around trying to get them to drop me. Their fingers tightened around my wrist and feet. 

We stopped moving and I was thrown into the air. I landed against something hard face down. My lower half twisted around realizing that I had been thrown against a tree.

        "Leave us alone," My head was pulled backwards by my hair and thrusted into the tree trunk. My vision went black until stars appeared before me. I screamed in pain as my face was rammed into the tree again.

My hands were tied together so I couldn't move them to protect my face. Blood was pooling from my mouth. A kick fell across my back and I screamed out in pain. Tears were running down my face. I was supposed to be the best and here I was being beaten up by three people whose faces I couldn't even see.

         "What's going on?" I heard a rough voice behind us. Footsteps took off running into the forest.

My body was so in so much pain that I couldn't lift myself up.

        "Are you okay?" My hands were tied to my back. They were released and I was flipped onto my back. My eyes were shut tightly that when I tried to open them it was painful. Somehow one eye opened up and I was staring up at Evan Lancer.

        "Holy shit." He brushed back my hair. "Alexandra Matheson." He blinked at me looking me over. "Shit!" he cussed glancing over his shoulder. 

Without another word, he lifted me up into his arms and carried me back towards the castle. "I'm taking you the infirmary."

        "No!" I groaned trying to move some part of me so he could put me down. "I can't go back there. Everybody will hear about this."

Evan protested, shaking his head, "You have a dislocated shoulder and possibly broken ribs." he replied, not listening to me anymore. "Your face is twice its size. I'm surprised you have all your teeth." His voice was slow and gentle. "I'm taking you in to get seen." He hurried into the building as I feebly protested.

He didn't bother listening to me because I heard the exclaims. The nurse I had just seen earlier today ordered for him to put me down on a bed.

       "What happened?" she asked, her fingers were prodding into my ribs. A scoff escaped my mouth. That had been so painful that it felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. 

"Three others jumped her. She was on the ground and they were kicking her. They took off before I could see who they were." Evan informed the nurse. My good eye was on him as he spoke.

         "Go back to your room. I will report this." the nurse gently placed a hand on my face. My good eye turned to her.

         "Poor dear. Let me get you something for the pain and swelling." She smiled sadly at me. "Ill get you back together soon enough." Evan took a deep a breath with raised eyebrows.

         "You have shitty luck, Matheson." He looked me over shaking his head. "I need to go."

"Yeah." My voice croaked. "Thanks, Lancer."

        "I may not like you but that was complete bullshit." His lips barely moved and his eyes dropped.

        "A girl was there." I told him trying to clear my throat. His blue eyes sprang up to mine. "Tell her to watch herself." My face was so swollen and I was only glaring at him with one eye but he nodded. "She's a coward for what she did to me." Evan's face hardened and he opened his mouth. He was probably going to defend his stupid sister.

        "Get out of here." my voice broke. "Get out." It was so painful to move so I laid still watching him leave. Tears spilled down my face because I felt so embarrassed.

The clicking of the nurses' heels came back.

"Alright dear, here are some pain killers because this is going to be worse than that vampire bite you had. I have to put that shoulder back in." she popped the pills into my mouth. There were other voices and the doctor came into my view.

         "Ms. Matheson this is going to be rather painful." He blinked down at me with an expressionless face. From the lack of emotion on their faces, I could tell that I looked awful.

        "Do it." my lips barely moved. Something was thrusted into my mouth and I bit hard on it. Two hands lifted up my shoulder-

I took a deep breath and a loud muffled yell ripped from my throat. Tears were falling down on my face like a water fountain. My shoulder was placed back into the socket. That had been the worst pain I had ever experienced.

      "Notify Damien,"

       "No," I tried to tell them but I was still biting down on something hard. One nurse was taking down notes and the other was cleaning my face up. The physician was going on and on about the wounds.

His words just went through my ears as he described me. My shoulder had been dislocated, and I had cracked ribs on both sides. And to top it all off, my jaw had been broken. They tended to my wounds and left me after upping up the painkiller dosage. It felt rather humiliating to be lying on the bed all doped up after being attacked by three people.

I had been trained to fight vampires but I hadn't been able to hold up against three damn humans.

That was the reason why I hated humans. They were worse than vampires. The living were the worst.