Big-mouth

The next evening at training, Uther had paired up Lydia and I to have a one on one match. It wasn't as intense as it had been with Selena. Instead we focused on talking each other through the fight. She was a pretty good fighter because she was quick even though she didn't look like it.

I was glad to be pleasantly surprised.

        "Where'd you learn to fight?" Lydia asked me as I lifted up my fists. Lydia followed, mirroring my actions.

       "My godfather." I responded as she punched first. I ducked down and aimed for her ribs. She turned at the last moment. Instead I kneed her in the stomach. She huffed loudly but didn't fall. "Everything I have learned is from my godfather." Lydia puckered her lips momentarily but she finally nodded.

        "You know for some reason I thought you were going to be pretentious." Lydia dropped her fists from protecting her face and I punched her in the jaw. My face immediately turned into a cringe.

        "I am sooo sorry. I didn't mean to punch you!" I reached for her face but she punched me really hard in the mouth making me stumble backwards in surprise.

       "Ow!" Lydia spat out blood and I stepped backed some more, tasting the blood in my mouth.

       "I am so sorry." I mumbled against my hands. "That was unintentional. I promise. You dropped your hands." My own mouth was throbbing as I had to spit out the blood pooling in my mouth.

      "That was my fault." Lydia laughed as I massaged my jaw. "I'm sorry too. Reflex." We both started to laugh as we massaged our own mouths. Blood was falling out of her mouth and I could imagine I was doing the same.

Out the corner of my eye, I could see Uther and Eric. Lydia and I turned to them. They had confused expressions on their faces. They couldn't believe what they were seeing.

       "Go get that taken care of." Eric tilted his head for us to go. Uther and Eric turned to each other and shrugged.

      "Girls are so weird." I heard Uther murmur as we walked past them. Lydia and I glanced at each other and we burst out laughing. We weren't even sure why we were laughing. 

       "Anyway I misjudged you Matheson." Lydia told me as we walked to the nurse. "You aren't bad."

       "Neither are you." I responded covering my mouth because my mouth was swollen that I couldn't close it properly. Bloody drool was falling out. "You aren't so bad, Lydia. You care about your brother and that was shocking in a good way." I remembered how angry she had been. She had defended him when she had seen me as potential threat to him.

      "You know my brother used to be my best friend. I used to go to him for everything but he sort of backed away when I started to date Eric. I'm glad he told you."

      "Why are you dating that jerk?" the words flew out of my mouth before I had even thought them. My hands tightened around my mouth realizing what I said. To my surprise, she started to laugh. Bloody drool fell out the corner of her mouth making us giggle.

      "He isn't terrible." Lydia wiped her face because tears were streaming down her face. "Not to me. In fact, he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet." 

We were handed small hand towels when we walked into the infirmary. The nurse made us sit next to each other as she cleaned up our mouths.

        "Who did this to you?" she scowled, roughly opening my mouth.

I pointed at Lydia and she pointed back at me. The Nurse huffed loudly shaking her head at the both of us.