Unease

"When are we getting out of here?" I asked him. I knew he needed to rest but we had to get out of here first. This place was chaotic and it smelled like wet dog.

          "Tonight. I've asked that the plane be ready. If we stay in longer, one of us is going to end up dead." Damien shook his head, upset with everything that had happened. "I need to speak to the Chief."

         "And Professor Rogers?" I timidly glanced at him. His face hardened but didn't respond. We walked back to the bedroom that Damien had been staying in. I noticed there was a couch with a blanket and pillow. Professor Rogers hadn't left his side.

          "She cares about you." I told Damien who settled onto his bed. It looked like if he needed to rest some more. We couldn't leave tonight. Not until he was better and could walk without tiring.

         "Yes but not about you. I can't trust her if she can't trust you." Damien laid back into his bed. I covered him and adjusted his pillow so he would be careful.

        "You are my priority." Damien grasped my hand tightly. "I promised to take care of you."

        "I am an adult Damien. There are some things that I'm going to need to figure out on my on." I cleared my throat but I was moved that he cared about me. We didn't really talk about our emotions. "And you don't want to end up alone." I patted his hand but Damien didn't release mine.

        "Yes, but your burden is mine too." My eyes met his. "I must be getting old and sentimental, Alexandra. But you are my daughter. I raised you and I might have messed up a few times but thinking that I might have lost you- it is something that I don't want to experience ever again." His eyes were tearing but he quickly blinked them away. "And that person needs to share that with me."

"Damien." My voice broke because I wanted to cry again. "You've done a pretty good job as a single parent." We both laughed wiping our faces. "You should rest." I adjusted his blanket again. "We are getting out of here soon." He opened his mouth to protest.

         "I'll take care of the plane and making sure we have a secure flight. You need to be back on your feet." When he fell asleep, I went to the room I had originally been staying in to shower because I smelled. When I got out, I found Edmee in the living room with a platter of food.

         "I figured you would be hungry." she held out her hand for me to take a seat. What was this woman playing at? As I approached her, I carefully smelled everything that she had brought in with her. Everything seemed normal.

          "I have not poisoned anything." Edmee laughed at me. "I will not try to kill you. I only kill those that cross me."

         "So I won't cross you at all?" I took a seat next to her. Interested. She was playing at something. "I'm trying to ignore my hatred for Witches."

         "I don't think you will cross me. You are honest with me." she nodded with a smile. She started to serve herself and I took that as a signal to start eating. "Besides you will need me on your side. You have a big problem."

        "I know." I made a face as I loaded my plate with cheese and different meats. My stomach was growling so loudly. "But I have to give you something in return. What do you need from me?" my eyes snapped up at her and smiled widely. Witches didn't do anything for free. They always wanted something in return. She was right, I would need her help but I had to give her something in return. I remembered what Mrs. Anchor had said. 

She smiled at me but didn't say anything. She just kept eating. Her fingers gently tore off a piece of bread and popped it into her mouth.