First Raid

The following day, there was commotion in the main room of the house. Nobody was allowed due to the extended curfew. At least nobody was blaming me. They were all pissed off at the Trackers.

         "I've got some news." Eric called early in the morning. I was going down stairs with Lydia. Usually Uther came to my room before classes so that we could leave early but he had left early with Eric. "We've got another coven nearby."

        "Oh my god." I whispered excited that my chance was here. "I can't believe this. Finally!" I exclaimed loudly as Eric posted a piece of paper with the Chains. A chain was a group of Slayers. Trackers only had three groups, which were known as Orders. They were Alpha, Beta and Omega Orders. The Alpha Tracker was Zachariah Lancer along with his family. Caleb had a dual role as one of the High Trackers and First Slayer. They didn't do much fighting anymore. They were strategists. The Beta Orders were tacticians and the Omega Orders did the fighting. They were considered lower level foot soldiers who carried out the wishes of the Alpha Tracker.

       "The Trackers are joining us?" someone called out with a sigh.

      "They have to. We haven't had a wolf nearby. Its good training for them too." Eric replied with a passive face. Again, it had probably been out of his control. Eric approached me as I waited to see the Chains.

      "You will not have grounds-keeping duties. The Headmaster thinks its better you are in the field with us this weekend rather than cleaning up."

       "Did you ask him to drop it?" my eyes squinted at him.

       "I may have helped you out a bit." Eric replied with pursed lips. "Thank you, Eric. You are the best." He tried to make a higher voice to mock mine.

My eyes slid over to Lydia who was suddenly busy with her jacket.

      "Thank you, Eric. Lydia you are the best."

      "I know, right." Lydia smiled brightly at me. "Besides it is a large coven and we'll need all the help we can get even with the Trackers." She lifted her upper lip in dislike.

Eric handed me a piece of paper. Without a word, I snatched it out of his hand to see the Chains.

I had been grouped in with Eric, Louis along with the Lancer twins and Bennett. Two others that I didn't were also in the First Chain.

     "Why them?" I shook the paper at him. There were a total of five chains. The number in each chain increased. "They are only going to annoy us. They don't know how to fight Vampires."

      "They did a pretty good job at the last raid." Eric shrugged. "Their armor did slow them down a bit but we did great."

His comment only made me roll my eyes. He was trying to be fair.

      "Fine so who is First Slayer?" I raised the piece of paper because titles weren't given. First Slayer had all chains under his control. In the remaining chains a leader would be named that would relay his orders. "You, right?"

      "I am older than you." He smiled brightly at me while I glared up at him with a huff. "Don't be a brat, Matheson. You are a child. You are to stay by my side the entire time. You are to not wonder off or do your own thing. Understood?"

       "But-" I protested. If he could have given me Second Slayer but I could imagine that went to either Louis or Uther. "I'm a good fighter and really fast."

       "By my side the entire time or I will keep you here and you won't go to any other raid in the future if you disobey me. Am I making myself clear?"

       "Yes, sir." I lifted my upper lip at him. "You've been spending too much time with Damien. You are turning into him."

      "Thanks." He smiled proudly. "And this is not a reward for fighting with the Trackers."

       "Obviously if I'm attached to you at the hip." I sighed heavily annoyed by the restriction. "Is Lydia attached too since you are my instructor?" my eyes flickered to her who was now jumping on her toes.

"Nope, I've been made Second Slayer by Damien for the raid." She smiled brightly and gleefully. "I've made an impression on him."

       "Ugh, that's not fair." I grumbled but was glad she had been given the opportunity. "And where will my lovely overprotective godfather be during this time?"

       "He sent Carlos Aliante and nine other Slayers as standby in case things don't go our way. You are to-?" he raised his eyebrows at me.

      "Stick to Carlos Aliante if something happens to you." I grumbled greatly annoyed by their lack of trust and obvious overprotection. It was kind of humiliating that I was not in charge.

       "Absolutely and you will be promptly removed. If I find out you disobeyed any rules, Alexandra-"

      "Oh wow. You are really sounding like Damien." His eyes narrowed "I will not be allowed in any other raid in the future. Yes, sir. Got it." I repeated what he had said with a mocking salute.

"You have an issue with rules." Louis commented with crossed arms. It was obvious that my godfather had given them a lecture about keeping me out of harms way. To me it was an overreaction.

       "Mmmm, I'm going to be late to class." I shrugged adjusting my backpack. It was better that I didn't answer Louis' comment. Uther chuckled nudging me so that we could leave together.

       "And what about you? What did you get?" I asked wondering if he got Third Slayer.

       "You know already. Damien didn't give Louis a position since he's already in the Coalitions's First chain. He wanted to give us the opportunity to impress him."

      "Oh if everything goes well he's going to love you guys." I laughed. "I hope the Trackers got a lecture too. They need to be obedient and listen to the First Slayer."

      "They did," Uther whispered down at me. "Eric and I were there with Damien. They are to follow all orders or face consequences. It was a nice pep talk." He winked with a smirk. I couldn't help smiling that I wasn't the only one getting a lecture before the raid.