Frenemies

It was Monday afternoon so classes were on right now. I was grateful for that because I didn't want to see anybody else. The other students had been attacked because of me. The vampires had come looking for me and unfortunately others had gotten in the way.

I hurried to my room to only lock myself inside. Right now was not a good time for me to talk to others. I was not going to find the right words to apologize for what happened.

A few minutes after classes ended, there was a knock at my door. I made a face up at the ceiling. I wanted a couple of more hours to myself.
         "Alex!" Uther called to me but I ignored it. I was curled up in my blanket trying to sleep but I couldn't. In fact, my body was restless.

I felt energetic. After vampire bites, it is typical to feel lethargic and nauseous. My body on the other hand felt alive.

       "I know you are awake." Uther's voice was much louder. There was another voice that was talking to him.

         "Alex, come out. You are supposed to be eating." Lydia also called loudly. "You lost some blood." There were a few more knocks on my door but I didn't get up. They stopped knocking, I thought they had left until I heard the doorknob being messed with.

I sat up alert hearing the sound of the doorknob being fondled. The door opened, and my eyebrows sprang up in surprise.

Lydia was on her knees with tools in her hands. Uther was standing over her with plates in his hands. They both had big smiles on their faces.

       "That was pretty easy." Lydia chuckled to herself with a pleased smile. "Why are you locked in here?" she got to her feet and strolled right in.

       "I'm not feeling well." I lied laying back on my bed.

       "You look fine." Lydia sat down at the end of my bed. Uther handed me a plate but I didn't take it. He placed it next to me. 

"Eat." Uther responded taking a seat next to me. "You were bitten and the best medicine is food." He grinned but it faltered. "It wasn't your fault." He added. Goodness he knew me all too well.

         "Yes it was." I sighed unhappily. "It was the second attack within a month. Those vampires wanted me."

         "Obviously." Lydia rolled her eyes. Uther shook his head at his sister. "Look you are a Matheson those bloodsuckers know that you are here. That is something that everybody should have known was coming. They want you dead. That will not be the last attack."

       "You are right." Uther nodded in agreement. "I thought you were going to say a bitchy thing." he smirked at his sister.

       "And people are going to get bitten. They got in the way." She shrugged with an eyeroll.

       "There it is." Uther replied under his breath. I laughed at the both of them. They were unintentionally trying to make me feel better. It was working.

      "You shouldn't feel guilty, Alex." Lydia settled on my bed and started to eat. "It probably won't be the last bite they will get. We are going to be Slayers. By the time we are middle-age, a quarter of us will have been bitten."

      "That's twice for me." I answered without thinking.

     "You are winning." Uther nudged me. I smiled up at him shaking my head. 

"Our mission for this past weekend got cancelled until the students feel better. We have another one coming up in a month. You'll get your revenge then." Lydia replied between bites. "Don't be hard on yourself. This was a freak accident. Besides the Headmaster learned his lesson and is now taking precautions."