Nightmares

I went into the Slayer House, straight to my room. My body was shaking with anger that I kicked the post of my bed.

         "What happened?" Uther asked me.

         "I have to stay here." I replied turning to him. He came in and took a seat at the nearest chair to him.

         "You are a little young to be in the field, Alex." I lifted my upper lip in dislike but took a seat across from him. He lifted up one of his legs and crossed it over the other. "You are only seventeen years old."

          "So what?" I rolled my eyes at him. I didn't need a sermon from him. "I am a Slayer. A Matheson Slayer."

          "Slaying shouldn't be your entire world. " There was another sad look. They pitied me. That was starting to get annoying. It needed to stop.

           "And why not?" I raised my voice. "The vampire killed my family. It smeared my family name. Everybody here hates me."

           "I don't hate you." Uther smiled gently at me. "I get that you are upset but you knew it was going to be difficult." I placed my elbows on my knees so that I could cover my face with my hands. "It is one year, Alex. You can learn so much here with us."

          "Uther." I groaned. He got up from his chair and came to stand over me. He placed his hands over mine and removed them from my face.

           "You aren't the only oddball here."

          "You are not an oddball, Uther." I smiled at him gratefully. He was doing his best to make me feel better.

           "The school hates you and so what?" Uther took a seat next to me. "Who cares what anybody thinks? You are a freaking Matheson Slayer." His smile widened. It was so contagious that I had to smile back at him. "You guys were the best and still are." he nudged me and I laughed.

           "Thank you." I squeezed his hand gratefully. They were words that I needed to hear.

           "And fuck everybody." He added with a grin. "You go through your year and then go into the field and do what you have to do." he searched my eyes until I nodded. He got to his feet with a wince. "I am so sore. I'm going to feel this in the morning." he took off to his own room leaving me with my own thoughts. He was right but if I could convince Damien to let me go in the field. There was not way that I would pass up the chance to join him and find that vampire.

          I rose to my feet and made my way to nightstand. Without making any sound, I opened the top drawer. There was a small box that I had with personal items. I pulled it out, placing it on top of the nightstand. Inside was the one thing that I had from that Sire. It was a thick gold chain with a red ruby pendant on it. It had been found in my dad's hand. I knew it belonged to that Sire. I had something that belonged to him and it would lead me to him.

There was a knock on my door. I quickly put the necklace away and turned to my bedroom door.

        "Come in." I called walking towards the door. My godfather walked in taking a moment to search my eyes.

       "I have just spoken with Eric and some of your professors."

I shrugged, taking a seat away from him. My godfather sat down slowly placing his hands out in front of him.

       "I have spoken with Eric. He will be nicer to you."

       "Oh god. I don't need this." I placed my face in my hands. "You are going to make things worse."

       "I spoke to another Professor of yours. She likes you." I dropped my hands.

        "Do you mean Professor Rogers?" I remembered the nice professor from earlier today. "Why didn't you tell me your sister in law taught here?"

       "I didn't think it was worth mentioning." Damien answered leaning back into the sofa. We stared at each other for a few minutes. "She is a nice woman. She will look after you."

        "I don't need looking after." I sighed heavily. "Damien, they think I killed their parents. They are going to hate me no matter what." I rubbed my sweaty hands against my pants. "I don't fit in."

        "Nobody fits in in school, Alex. I didn't. I want you to learn while you are here. I've taken care of your instructors. They will put their differences aside, okay."

       "What did you bribe them with?" my lips pursued knowing that he had to offer something. Damien opened his mouth but snapped his teeth.

       "Let me deal with that. I just want something a little normal for you. "

       "I'm not normal, Damien." He knew what I was referring to. I had spidey senses. They were activated when I was around a vampire. My senses were heightened and so was my strength. "I've never been normal."

       "No you aren't." He stared down at my arms, which looked even paler under the lighting in my room. "I need you to do me a favor?" he cleared his throat awkwardly. "If you start to feel different- tell Janice. I mean Professor Rogers. She is in direct contact with me." I had a nasty feeling that she told Damien that I was being bullied. No wonder he was here.

        "Different how?" I frowned at him. He was not being clear. Not only that but he was keeping something from me. His voice had just gone from relaxed to nervous.

        "Just something that I want you to keep in mind."          

"Different how?" I rolled my eyes at him. "Damien can you be a little clearer?" It annoyed me when he was cryptic.

        "I'm just saying that's all."

         "I'm not going to get depressed because I'm being bullied, Damien. I'm just going to kick their ass." I grumbled to myself. Damien chuckled relaxing into the sofa. "Expect some calls." I warned him.

        "I'm not saying not to fight but you can defend yourself." Damien got to his feet with a wince. He came towards me and leaned forward to kiss my forehead. "Be good. I'll try to visit during Parent Day, okay?" He rubbed my head and I grasped his hand.

        "Don't get killed, Damien."

        "I promise not to." he laughed at me. "You grew up way too fast. Maybe I should have waited to tell you who you were." He kissed my forehead one last time. "Learn something."

        "Bye Damien." He released me and left. I stared after him knowing that I wouldn't see him for a long time.

I stretched myself out on the sofa and stared up the ceiling. It was just a white clean ceiling with nothing. I closed my eyes and saw crimson red. It was just so bright and tantalizing that my mind wandered off.

           I woke up shaking and sweating. I knew that I had just had a nightmare but couldn't remember it. I lifted my shirt from my sticky body. I got up from the soaked couch. I had to peel off my drenched clothing from myself. That was weird. I didn't have nightmares.

It was past midnight so I got into my bed. I closed my eyes and again I saw that crimson red. It was so tempting to me but I had to push it out of my mind.