Beat Up

After Vampire physiology we had History of Vampires and Slayers and then Ancient Worlds. Then it would be lunchtime, which was my second favorite time of the day. The first would be field training.

        "How is your first day going?" Uther took a seat next to us. Rachel and I were eating together. "Do you like your classes?"

       "They are fine. Interesting." Rachel shrugged not seeming impressed by any of it. I didn't blame her. It would have been too much for me too. "I'm excited for training class. My grandmother said you were badass." She met my eyes. I had been stuffing my face with chicken so the only thing I mustered was some coughing as reply. "She said you had a lot of years on me but I would catch up."

        "Yeah she's the best." Uther lifted his fist for me to bump it. I couldn't help biting back a smile but I did hit his fist with mine. "But you get your own separate training."

       "Yes with my grandmother." Rachel pretended to gag on her plate. "Some kind of House training. Brianna is starting hers with me too. I heard you guys used to get your own too though." She nodded at me.

I shrugged not knowing anything about it.

      "If we got any special training, it probably died with my House. Damien never mentioned anything. Do you know anything?" I asked Uther eyeing the pies in front of me. I still had a plate full of chicken and kale.

      "Nope. It doesn't surprise me though." Uther shrugged not looking surprised. "Almost every House is known for some kind of fighting style or weapon or special training."

     "Does yours?" I asked curiously. Uther's cheeks turned slightly red. "What is it?"

     "That I can't tell you. You aren't in my House." He wrinkled his nose in my direction. "Anyway good luck. Professor Burns was known as a hardass back in the day when she taught here."

     "Professor?" Rachel and I questioned him.

    "Yeah, she'll be taking over an hour of training time in the afternoons." Uther finished up his plate quickly barely breathing. "I've got an exam to go write for Friday's class." He took a sip of water. "I'd only study for the first fifteen slides of each lecture. I'm too lazy to write a full exam." He winked getting to his feet. "Ladies good day to you." He took off with Eric and Louis.

"Whoa who are they?" she was eyeballing Louis and Eric.

       "Ugh, House Travis. The one with a smug smile on his face because he is getting laid is Eric. The grouchy one who probably hasn't gotten laid is Louis. They're cousins." I rolled my eyes stuffing kale and chicken in my mouth. "Eric is dating Lydia, Uther's twin sister." I pointed at the short girl that had walked in. "And Louis is dating the snot Selena Lancer."

She didn't see the drama around that so I didn't say anything else. Lydia was making her way over to me.

        "When were you released?" Lydia took a seat next to Rachel. "Hi, I'm Lydia Haverson." She held out her hand to her. Rachel took it giving me a look. "Nobody said anything to me."

       "I didn't even know." I answered hiding a smile. Rachel would get used to Lydia's patronizing tone. "I had half an hour to get out of the infirmary."

        "Mmm well, I'm glad you are better. That was quite scary." She nodded appreciatively at my plate. She pushed aside the pastries and pies. "So I won't be in class today-"

       "It's okay. Rachel can be my partner." I smiled brightly at her. Lydia nodded liking the idea.

       "Take it easy on her. She has no training."