A Gift

"I'm in a need of a nap. I'll see you later." Rachel grimaced as she walked away to her room. She had been given a room in the Slayer House. I walked up to the top floor.

Lydia was in the kitchen when I arrived.

        "How'd it go with Professor Burns?" she smiled waiting for good news.

       "Not bad. Better than I expected except for the couple of times she knocked me down."

      "I heard about that, are you okay?" she put a bowl of yogurt and granola in front of me. I sighed taking a seat not really wanting to sit but needed food. I was starving.

      "Yeah fine." I smiled when she held out a spoon to me.

      "And you made a friend." Lydia came around to sit down with me. "You needed someone your age. You guys can gossip and talk about how hot my boyfriend is."

I opened my mouth to argue with her but came off as flustered.

      "Its okay." She laughed at me. "He is pretty damn hot. I don't mind it because I've got great taste."

I took a mouthful not answering.

     "You should invite her to have dinner with us." she took her own mouthful.

     "Maybe. She's got training with her grandmother." I met her dark brown eyes. "Thanks, Lydia." I lifted the bowl to her.

     "I don't mind it." she continued to eat.

     "You'll make a good mom when you have babies with Eric." I complimented her. Lydia put a hand on my head. I gazed back at her in response.

     "That's the best thing you've ever told me," she sounded breathless.

I laughed in response.

     "That's because you keep taking care of me when you don't need to. Nowhere in your contract does it state to look after me." She tucked my hair behind my ear.

     "That's because I know what it is like to lose your mom." She smiled sadly. "And you my dear are too young to be alone like you want to be. I'm sorry about yelling at you about becoming Ninth. I was out of line." She cleared her throat brushing my hair back. "Dinner will be ready at five okay?" I searched her eyes. There was concern in her eyes for me. It wasn't something that I was used to.

    "Thanks," I finished eating. While she ate, I cleaned up the dishes. 

I went upstairs to get some of my books for Uther's class and for Vampire Physiology. It was going to be a long week of studying for both classes. I went back downstairs. Both Eric and Lydia were in the living room. Lydia and Eric were both stretched out on the couch. They were talking in low voices to each other. I paused when they kissed. 

Quickly I left not wanting to be caught watching them like a creeper. I wanted to see Brianna before going to the library. She was up and eating when I arrived. Professor Burns was seated next to her.

       "Hi," She perked up when she saw me.

      "I came to see how you were doing." I sat down putting my books on the ground. "And see if I could give this to her, Professor Burns." I pulled out the knife out for her. She held out her hand for me to place it in.

     "This is was one of Veroncia's knives?" she ran her fingers over the hilt.

     "Umm yeah I've got a of them. Shes' going to train and so I thought I could gift it to her with your permission. She is ten and-"