Friendly Houses

There was a light tapping sound. I lifted my head to my window. There was another tap and I got up from my bed. I opened my window to see Evan with a big smile.

         "Morning. Want to join me for a run?" he waved up at me. He was wide awake and ready to work out.

         In return, I grimaced, "No, it's too early." I glanced back at my clock. It was 6 in the morning. I had only gotten five and half hours of sleep.

A sigh escaped my mouth. It would be better for me to go out on a run. I needed to keep my body tired.

        "Fine, give me ten minutes." I answered in the lowest voice possible so that nobody would overhear. "Meet me at the front door." I closed the window shut. Hurriedly, I brushed my teeth and put on workout clothes.

He was waiting for me at the front door.

I glanced at the Houses. There weren't any lights on. Nobody else seemed to be up.

       "Let's go through the woods." Evan suggested heading for the back of the Slayer House. My feet froze. My entire body went rigid.

       "No let's go to the track." I pointed down the hill. There was no way I would go into dark woods with him by myself.

Evan glanced back at me.

       "Oh. Yeah. I promise we are just going to run. Nothing is going to happen." Evan waved me forward but I shook my head.

I backed away from him shaking my head.

       "You must think I'm stupid to follow you in there." I laughed, flicking my eyes at my House. It wasn't too far from me.

       "Come," He held out his hand. "Trust me. It will be just a run." He stepped forward with an outstretched hand. "No funny business. I swear to you."

I cleared my throat.

"I'm not my sister." He kept his hand out as he approached me. Gently, he took my hand. He pulled me in the direction of the woods.

        "No, the track." I pulled my hand out of his hold. I couldn't help placing my hands behind my back. "I don't know if I trust you."

       "Fair enough." Evan replied with a small smile. I turned to the track. Evan stepped into stride beside me. "I promise to you that I won't hurt you." Evan stopped me by taking my arm.

My eyes met his ocean blue eyes.

        "My intention isn't to hurt you. My sister is not a terrible person. She just needs to see things clearly. Our dad is a hard ass and our training was made to toughen us up."

I scanned his face. The sadness on his face said it all. I didn't want to imagine what kind of training they had gone through. My eyes flickered down to his arms. He also had scars on his wrists.

        "I don't know if I can ever forgive your sister. She doesn't feel any remorse."

         "No she feels it. I know my twin better than anybody else."

My eyes zeroed in on him.

         "I am not lying. I'm not excusing her behavior but she knows what she did was wrong."

         "She's tricky."

         "Tricky, we are wolves right? We have to be cunning and deceptive. She's angry that we could lose everything in less than a year. It is clouding her judgment. It isn't like we'll end up on the street but-"