Leather

Being First Slayer was my birthright. My family has always been in charge but right now the idea of people finding out that I was turning into a vampire was not ideal. People would freak out and more than likely keep the Lancers in power. The chaos that would ensue would be worse because the Lancers would probably still deny the vampires and probably even try to get rid of me. It was better that I kept my head low and learned as a Ninth Slayer. It wasn't what I had always worked towards but it felt right. It was something that was for me and not because it was my "birthright" or was going to be handed to me. I would work for it.

        As for the vampires that were growing, that was a problem. There was a newspaper on my desk. Lancer's face was plastered on it. There was a large confident grin on his face. He was still saying that we didn't have a vampire problem. That the numbers were the lowest they had ever been. That was a dangerous lie because people were going to become easy targets. Not only that but the Slayers weren't as active, there were only a few scattered around the world but they weren't enough. We had to take care of that but I wasn't sure what to do. I was stuck at this school for a few more months until I turned nineteen. I could then leave and Damien wouldn't be able to legally stop me. He could make my life a living hell if I kept angering him but I could deal with that. Maybe it was time that I stretched my own wings out. The thought made me smile. If I was going to become a Ninth Slayer, that meant that I had no more rules to follow. I just had to toe the line that Damien had given me so I wouldn't be a Not Slayer. The smile on my face spread and I fell back on my bed.

       "I just had to make sure I was careful around humans." I grinned up at the ceiling. For the first time ever I felt like if I was making my own decisions. 

Days passed but Lydia did not speak to me. She gave me my training schedule or workouts but that was it. I felt bad because I liked talking to her. She was overprotective, demanding and too opinionated but I missed it.

       "She'll get over it." Uther told me taking a seat next to me. She had stopped sitting with me at lunch. "She thinks that she can tell everybody what to do and we have to listen." He rolled his eyes. Eric was seated with her.

       "Yeah." I smiled quickly at him. "I'm not hungry. I'm going to the library." I pushed my plate away.

       "Whoa, you miss my sister?" Uther grimaced making me scoff at him. "Oh she's going to love it. She's already gives herself too much self-importance."

      "She's our voice of reason." I leaned forward on my arms. "You and I alone would get in trouble." I raised my eyebrows meaningfully. He knew who I was talking about.

      "True, let's get in trouble then. Want to go out this weekend with me?" he winked leaning towards me. "We can go dancing. I know the perfect spot."

      "Sure." I shrugged smiling at him. "Bring Bennett."

      "Bring Evan." He retorted.

     "He has a girlfriend." I replied with a stern face.

     "Mmmm I heard that they aren't doing too well. They are going to break up soon." He grinned evilly. My face was still stern. "Fine, invite Michael. He's smitten with you because you saved his life."

      "Michael is from the Black Family." I lowered my voice. "If something happens to him, they will hunt me down. I don't need that kind of responsibility. Besides doesn't he have a girlfriend?"

       "Fine, I'll bring Bennett and the three of us can hang out."

       "Yeah, okay. " I scoffed. "Invite the third wheel. Thanks a lot. You two need to figure out what you are doing. I like Bennett, he's much nicer and too sweet for you." I wrinkled my nose at him. Uther waved me off. "You are a heart-breaker, Uther." I covered my mouth as he haughtily shrugged. The smile on his face said it all.