Chapter 6:

Brooke...

         Here I am waking up in bed alone. Every since Keem popped back into my life he has been very protective. He refuses for there to be an opportunity of me getting injured or anything while I'm in the process of moving out of the hood. I look to my right to only see a sleeping Keem with a pillow over his head. I throw back the cover and make my way to the restroom. As I stand in front of the mirror getting ready to brush my teeth I stare at myself for a minute. It's been three days since I've covered my natural beauty with fake beauty.I've been natural. As I brush my teeth, Keem remained on my mind. I honestly miss him. Years back, when we were just kids he made me feel loved even when I didn't feel loved. A little bit after brushing my teeth I found myself stripping to get in the shower. Why? I smelled like Keem. Don't get me wrong he smells amazing but I enjoy smelling like myself. After a thirty-minute shower, I wrapped my body and my hair with a towel before heading into my closet. I heard something fall and I peeked my head outside of the closet but I didn't see anything. I shook it off. Something kept telling me to not be the little caucasian girl in scary movies but I did it anyway. I hurried to get dressed before walking out of the closet. As I looked around, I saw water on the room floor causing me to slowly creep towards my bed so I could look under it. As I slowly kneeled to look under the bed, I damn near had a heart attack. Why? Keem scream and grabbed my arm causing me to scream and hit him. Why? He was under my bed and because he scared me. He got up from under the bed and held his face as he attempted to hug me. I hit him in the chest right before I allowed him to hug me. He plays so much.

"'You are aware that you play a little too much right." I said.

"Not my fault that you're still a little chicken." He said while laughing.

"Yeah. Whatever. I'm not a chicken." I said while walking back to the closet.

           Keem picked me up and I couldn't do anything but hold an attitude as he sat me down on the bed.

"Calm down. It's not that serious ma'." He said.

"Or what?" I asked with a hint of attitude.

"You know what. How your people doing though?" He asked.

"I don't really want to talk about them." I said.

"Why not?" He asked while holding my hand.

"Keem they put me through a lot. You know my dad tried to sell me for twelve large stacks." I said with my head hanging low.

"You're joking right." He said sounding shocked.

"I'm so serious right now. Why would I lie about something like that?" I asked feeling offended.

"It's just some hoes lie about shit like that nowadays." He said all nonchalant.

I stood and slapped Keem simply because I feel like he's been away from the hood too long and he's lost touch of who he really is.

"Hoes? Let me remind you who you're talking to! I'm no where near a hoe! If anything I'm that one down as female that was actually down for you even when you got sent off to JDC. Oh you thought I forgot? I bet your mom was able to clear that off of your records huh. Don't worry about it anymore. I see it doesn't even matter.

          I hurried over to the closet and tried to hurry and find something more comfortable to wear. Then, I realized that this is my house. Why am I trying to leave? I walked out of the closet and stood in front of Keem.

"Uhm you can get out of my house." I said while rolling my eyes.

"Brooke baby I didn't mean to call you..." He said but I interrupted him quickly.

"Yeah sorry apologizes is what you're about to feed me and I don't have time for it." I said furiously.

         Keem got down on one knee and grabbed my hand. I couldn't do anything but shed a few tears because I hope he's not about to do what I think he is.

"Brooke baby me and you go wayyyy back. I just want to take the time and thank you for staying by my side through out all the years. Especially when a young nigga did get locked up and got booked in JDC. Yeah, I told you to stay away from street niggas as we were growing up but I was the main one you needed to stay away from but you didn't. Honestly, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be in the NFL now. You were my motivation to push through college at the top of my hustle. I knew that I needed to hustle harder than I wanted to because I had to come back to get you and get moms the house she well deserved. You've always been the one girl that I wanted to settle down with. Yes, I fucked around with other girls since I left but none of them was you. We're both grown and we both know what we want in life. Brooklyn Robinson, will you marry me?" He asked while tearing up a little.

        I stood in front of him speechless simply because I wasn't expecting this. It was honestly a lot to take in. It wasn't a lot because he was proposing to me. It was a lot because out of all people it was one of the street niggas that always said, "No girl will ever make me settle down." I moved his hand as he held the little black box.

"I can't marry you Keem." I said nonchalantly.

"What do you mean?" He asked before standing up.

"I'm just joking. Yes I'll marry you." I said as he slid the ring onto my finger.

         Keem kissed me and hugged me as tight as he could. I couldn't do anything but smile and cry tears of joy. He hurried to the restroom to shower and I laid him some clothes across the bed while I did a little light makeup at my vanity. About thirty minutes later we were heading to the mall.