I Miss You

"SHOUYOU!!"

....

Kageyama sat up in bed and reached his arm out in front of him. He sighed and shut his alarm off. June 22nd is what his calendar read. He rested his hand on the empty pillow next to him while staring at his ring. He changed his clothes, stretched his back, and put his glasses on. He slowly made his way down the stairs to eat breakfast. Before he left the house, he looked in the mirror and scowled. His gray hair was sticking up in all directions. 

"Ugggghhhh...". Kageyama grabbed a hat and his jacket. He left his house and walked down the street. He walked for a long time until he saw the familiar dark archway. He walked through and allowed his feet to take him to the same spot they always did. He reached the patch of grass he always sat on; he stared sadly at the stone in front of him and smiled.

"Hi Shouyou. Happy Birthday. I can't believe it's been 10 years already".

"I had that dream again. Remember? The dream I told you about. The story of us. It makes me want to hold you again, to see your face one more time. I will though, soon. I don't know how much longer these old bones will last." Kageyama quietly laughed while he palmed the small volleyball locket in his pocket.

"Oh, I brought your favorite volleyball. The one I bought you when we were first years. Before we even dated." Kageyama chuckled. "Maybe when I see you again; we can play".

Kageyama fondly patted the ball in his lap. "Do you remember when I bought it? You were so happy. We played with it all day. It was also a good excuse to get away from Oikawa." Kageyama laughed at the memory and set the ball in front of the tombstone.

"There is so much you've missed. Our daughter had her third child. She named him Shouyou, after you. Our son finally got married. They're a beautiful human. They are all so happy. I know you would be happy for them, too. You always were overexcited and happy about everything."
Kageyama chuckled again. 

"I remember how your eyes would light up when you would hit one of my tosses or hold one of our children. They miss you... I miss you."

"I miss the way you would hug me, or how you would say some cheesy volleyball pickup line. I miss how your body felt and how your eyes would glow and sparkle whenever you saw me. I miss how whenever I said your first name or called you 'Kageyama', your face would flush so red that you would look like a tomato. Most of all, I miss you." Kageyama smiled and wiped away his tears that were starting to fall.  

"I can't wait to see you again." Kageyama kissed the stone. "I love you. I'll see you soon Sho." Kageyama smiled softly as he stood up. He took one last look at the very familiar stone. 

Kageyama Shouyou

June 22nd 2000-June 3rd 2074.We all will miss our little jumping ball of sunshine. 

We will always love you.

Kageyama smiled as he felt a slight breeze go under his chin and started to walk away for the last time. He stopped and turned back around to look at his love's final resting place. 

Silent tears fell as he said, "You know how you always said you were gonna beat me one day? I guess, after all these years... You finally won."

He smiled as he remembered those four precious words his beloved husband once said to him as he walked away for the last time.

Those four words that made him so happy. Those four words that changed everything...

~ "You're my best friend." ~

"You're my best friend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End