Chapter 35 - Cannot Be Long Hidden

Alec's P.O.V.

      "What's up with you?" Tate whispered towards me.

       We were currently ducked under a huge water tank with our lazer guns in hand. Tate was catching his breath from all the running we just did. It was obvious that he was so hyped up by the way he was constantly drumming the side of his gun. But, I, on the other hand, was far from being hyped up.

      There was one thing on my mind and it doesn't really take a genius to know what it was. What happened this morning was just something imprinted in my mind. I was nervous about asking Tori, yes, but I was pretty sure she was going to say yes after all the weeks we've been acting like a complete couple. 

      Tate bumped his shoulder with mine with a questioning look on his face. 

      "Well? Are you gonna leave me with this face?" Tate asked as he scrunched his eyebrows together like he was on the verge of pooping his pants. 

       "I do not look like that," I defended but wondered deep inside if I actually did look like I was about to poop my pants.

       He placed down his gun on the floor and started to sit on the floor. Tate looked up at me with an inviting look.

       "Come on. Sit the fuck down. Its time for a little heart to heart," he said.

       So I did. I sat down beside Tate on the floor and settled my gun on my lap. 

       "You do realize that we're abandoning our game, right?"

       Of course Tate would never admit that he was abandoning a game. Instead Tate shook his head with a gleeful gleam on his face. 

       "Nope. This is simply letting our teammates have the chance to try."

       "Mhm..."

       "Now. Go on and tell, Grandpa Tate."

       I was about to protest about how unnecessary his comment was but whatever I really do need to get things out of my chest.

       "I took Tori on a hot air balloon ride this morning to watch the sunrise," I started.

       "Aaaand?"

       Now that I was finally getting everything out of my chest it was like a free flow of words.

       "I really thought she was gonna say yes. Everything between us changed. We're closer now, Tate. I didn't think it was possible to be more in love with her. And I really did believe that she felt the same way about me just as much or even just half of what I feel for her. But she just said no.

        And she said that it was just she needed time to be completely honest with me. I respect that. I know something happened to her in those two years that I was gone. But I was gonna accept her no matter what it is. But I can't get this thing out of my head that I lost my chance with her the moment I left."

      Just as soon as I was done a hard smack came across the back of my head. I yelped out and just as the initial shock has subsided I glared at my so called best friend (guy since Tori is the number one bff). 

       "What the hell was that for?" I hissed at him.

       Tate rolled his eyes at me. "I know it sucks to be turned down. But, Alec, we're talking about Tori here. You of all people should know how fucked up she is."

      "I am giving her time. But what's bothering me the most is her secret and the fact that once I find out I might regret more my decision to leave."