dieciocho.

Kaleb Cannel

The theme song of Living Single played on Lo's hospital room television. I glanced up at the television then glance at her, who was just now opening her eyes. She let her eyes adjust to the dim light, squinting a little.

The right side of her neck was patched with gauze where they cut her at. The surgery didn't last as long as I expected. The doctor said she did an amazing job and it was success moving the lobe that was containing the surgery from her neck.

All I can say is thank you God for waking my baby up.

"Hi." She said softly, smiling after.

"Hey baby." I smiled back, rubbing my hands over her knuckles.

She looked around the room and then looked at the clock, gasping.

"What are you doing here? You have a game in two hours."

"Why would I go play when you just had surgery?" I frowned, leaning on her bed railing.

"I'm fine. You have to play so go ahead and get ready."

"Lo, I'm not goin' anywhere."

"Oh yes sir you are," she remove the cover from her body about to get up. "Don't make me get out this bed and force you to leave."

"Alright chill baby," I shook my head. "I'll go get ready."

"Thank you." She said more calmly.

Juggling football and being there for your girl is challenging especially when you don't want to play football at the moment because you're more focused on your girl getting better. It's stressful but I have to do what I have to do.

Just when I was about to get ready to go, there was a knock on the door and in came her doctor, Dr. Jose.

"Hey hey," he smiled, walking over to Loren. "How you doing, little lady? Have she been complaining?"

"Nah, she just recently woke up." I answered while Loren sat up in the bed.

"I was wonderingggg," Lo trailed off. "Could I eat some Popeyes?"

I looked at her while Dr. Jose laughed. Every since Lo took a break on being a pescatarian she's been wanting Popeyes everyday. She's been on this break for a few months, it's been weird seeing her eat different food.

"I'm sorry but we'll rather not have you eat any fast food right now. Maybe in a few days."

"That's understandable. Can I have some ice cream though? Preferably a whole pint so I can watch sad movies while eating it."

This girl is wilding.

"I'm glad you're in a happy mood," Dr. Jose laughed. "But yes I'll have Nurse Tanner bring you some."

"Thank you, Doc."

"You're welcome. Hey," he looked over at me. "Can I talk to you?"

I stood up and walked outside with her, hoping everything was fine with Loren.

"She's fine, she's fine." He quickly said, seeing I had a worried look on my face.