thirty one.

Kaleb Cannel

"Ugh, man." I yelled throwing the basketball to the fence that gated the basketball court. I stormed over to the bench and took a seat.

I didn't know what time it was but I know it had to be after eight because it was dark out. This would be the twelfth day I'm out living on my own.

At the age of eleven, I'm homeless and parentless.

I kicked the basketball from in front of me and grabbed my book bag, slipping it on. I tighten the straps. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to go to school tomorrow or not.

I was tired of going to school just to be reminded that I'm not anything. Teachers tried to help me but I'll just run away because I don't want anyone's help.

I snuck through the bushes to Ezerah's, my best friend, window. I lightly knocked on the window a few times. He unlocked the window and let it up, rubbing over his eyes.

"You go to sleep too early, bruh." I shook my head as he yawned.

"Leave me alone. Wassup?"

"Come to the store with me real quick."

"It's almost ten o'clock. What store you know that's open right now?" He asked, holding up the window.

"The corner street down the road. I'll have you back in like five minutes."

"Aight, let me grab a shirt and slip on some shoes." He said before going to his draw.

"Bird chest." I mumbled, waiting on him to hurry up. He slipped on a shirt, shoes, and a jacket before hopping out the window.

"KC, coach said he need a player on the football team and I told him about you." Ezerah started a conversation as we walked down the road.

"For what?"

"Cause you're good at football."

"Yeah right." I fan him off.

"You always think you don't got skills when you really do."

"Bah bah bah bah bahhh, I'm loving it." I laughed while he smacked his lips.

"Sometimes, I don't like you."

I shrugged and grabbed the handle to the door and pulled it back, opening the door. It wasn't anyone in here except the person that worked here and a girl along with some older guy.