Books and adventures

Genre: fluff and hella cute

Word count: 5859

He was always just sitting there. The dark haired boy with the books. For the past 6 weeks he has been sat in exactly the same spot on the hill, back resting against the pathway signpost, reading book after book after book. Dan hadn't noticed him the first few days, he had stayed in at home, enjoying being able to stay in pyjamas all day instead of having college. It was a Wednesday when he finally ventured out into the warmth of the sun and get the bus into town to see his friends when he saw him sitting there reading. His messy black hair falling over his face, the rays of light making it glisten. Dan looked up at the head of the boy for a minute, watching him slowly turn the pages, being absorbed by the story. He wanted to know who the boy was, but he hadn't plucked up his courage to talk to him, his shy awkwardness making him stay away. That was July the 24th. Today was August 6th. Today he was going to do something about it.

Dan had shamelessly been watching him read for the past few weeks, whether it him staring out of his attic room window or glancing at him as he walked away from his single deserted street to civilisation. It was just fascinating being able to see someone transported somewhere so easily without leaving the space they were stuck on. Dan read a bit too, but he never seemed to feel the same experience as the boy on the hill seemed to, and it made him wonder if there was some sort of secret to it, the right location, the right book, the right mindset? He wanted to know. Unfortunately Dan was a lot shyer than he would like to admit but he wanted to know more about this stranger, and a small plan had started commencing in his mind. Step one: sit with him. Dan didn't have to talk to him, just find a suitable spot near the boy and sit reading too. Dan was hoping the boy would notice him and maybe spark up an conversation, just see if he had hopefully noticed Dan throughout the weeks. He doubted it, but you never knew, right?

At 2pm exactly Dan looked out of his window and of course, the boy was there, reading as usual. Dan grabbed a copy of The fault in our stars by John Green and headed out of the house. He slowly climbed up the small hill and sat a couple of metres away from the boy, lying on his stomach as he started to read. He kept glancing over at the boy to start off with, he never seemed to look back, or even notice that Dan had appeared. He sighed and looked back down at the book, wondering if he should try again tomorrow. But then he got stuck in the book. He started devouring the first few chapters, feeling the light breeze wash over him as he read, rippling through the grass around him. Dan felt time pass by him but he didn't care, this book had to be read. Mid-chapter Dan suddenly remembered about the boy he had come out for in the first place, but he had gone. Dan sat up quickly and glanced around. He was literally no where to be seen. He sighed and stood up, brushing the odd piece of grass off his black jeans and stumbled back down the hill to his house.

Flopping down on his bed he sighed again. At least he knew why the boy liked reading so much now. There was something about that hilltop that was insanely romantic for it, just seemed to take you away to wherever your book was set. It was amazing. The soft sensation of dreaming while you were awake had brushed over him, and he felt at peace with this world, even if he was to be in torment in the books realm. Yet he still wanted to know who he was. He didn't live on his road as he knew everyone on it (it was small, short and in the middle of nowhere) so he must be at least local. Unless he had just moved. There was a house down the lane further away, cut off from the rest of Dan's part, maybe he lived there. If he did maybe they could meet up this holiday, maybe he would be going to the same sixth form as him. He really hoped so. This boy was interesting, and Dan wanted away from his dull life.

As the sun started to set and the dark was settling in, leaving a star trailed sky above them, Dan climbed out his window and sat on his little bit of connecting roof that jutted out. It was hidden mostly by the the main part of the house but Dan could see quite clearly out from it as it was accessible from the left hand side if you looked carefully. That's where he did his thinking, just outside alone in the cold air, his mind feeling refreshed and at its best. He thought about the dark haired boy, the one with all the books and his long legs and checked shirts. He wondered what his face looked like up close, he had only seen it from a distance but the one thing he had managed to pick out was his startling blue eyes, catching the sun just as his hair did, making them both shine equally as bright. He needed to get to know this boy, his senses just told him he had to, no opinions or choices involved. He thought about the best way to talk to him, maybe just sit right next to him and start talking, or to comment on the book he was reading, or to ask him a question like 'what time is it?'. He didn't know. What he did know was that tomorrow he would be there, and that the boy would be too.