Grey

Word count: 15k

Genre: fluffy fluff wooooo with unrequited love boooo

AN: HEY LOOK ANOTHER FUCKING COLOUR THEMED FIC WITH THE MOST COMMON SOULMATE AU EVER WOOOOOOO

"Do you believe that there is only one person that could be your soulmate? The one when you finally see colour?" Phil asked one day as they lay on his bed, Dan's eyes fluttered shut as he knew Phil was staring.

"Of course I do. It's scientifically proven. Why, do you not?" Dan opened his eyes to see Phil's light grey ones staring back. But then he rolled over and faced away.

"I don't know."

________

Dan hadn't quite understood what colour meant when he first started school. It wasn't much of a surprise, all the five year old knew was black and white and scatterings of grey. It was impossible to imagine any colour. All Dan could see in the world were shades, so he didn't quite understand when his teacher was grinning when she started teaching them about the idea of colours, and a young girl and boy both piped up saying that they could see them.

Dan didn't understand soulmates. But their teacher obviously knew that the little boy and girl would be together for their lives, so didn't try to explain it in too much detail. She would leave that to the parents.

**

Dan only really started to get curious when he was eight.

"Mummy, why can't I see colours? Jamie and Alexis can," Dan asked, still not quite grasping at the concept of the children in his class who would always be together, holding hands and hugging, doing everything together.

"Do you know what a soulmate is Daniel?" His mother asked, wiping some sauce off his cheek as she sat beside him, watching him thoughtfully munch on his potato before shaking his head.

"I know the word but not what it means," he said and his mother smiled, running a hand through his hair.

"A soulmate is someone you love. That you want to spend every second of your life with. It can be a really good friend or someone you like romantically which is more common, which you will understand when you're older," his mother explained. "When you meet this person you will be the happiest ever, so happy everything you see will have colour,"

"Like you and daddy?"

"Just like us," she smiled and Dan gave her a toothy grin.

"I can't wait to find my soulmate."

**

"Dan you can't be late for your first day of school!" His mother yelled as Dan groaned, running his straighteners through his hair just one last time to get rid of the evil curls.

"I'm coming!" He yelled down, sighing as he decided he looked good enough and grabbed his bag, going down the stairs. He was eleven now, mature, he didn't need his mum babying him.

"Good luck at school today," his mother said, kissing his cheek which he frantically rubbed as he left the house. "Tell me if anything special happens!" She called after him as he started the walk.

She was hoping he could find his soulmate today. Dan knew she hoped it everyday, and although he pretended he didn't care, it was the thing he wanted the most in the world.

It wasn't like he hated seeing without colour, he didn't know what the difference was, but he wanted to feel special. Like people would admire him for having that special extra something early on in his life. Not that eleven was young, Dan was going to secondary school.