Breathing underwater

Word count: 6974

Genre: well as lots of people asked, here is a sequel to 'eyes you can drown in' so here, have some more mermaid stuff :3

Dan now loved feeling the ocean around him. He loved having Phil take his hand underwater and lead him to nowhere. He loved Phil. He just hadn't really told him how much yet.

Phil already knew.

"Dan!" Phil called happily as Dan made his way across the rock pools.

"Hey my merman," Dan grinned and lay down on the rock where Phil was holding himself up on, pecking his lips before sitting up.

"Do you want to go swimming today?" Phil asked and Dan nodded frantically.

"Of course. I'm already in my trunks." Dan said and stood up, not even hesitant to take his shirt off and then his shoes while Phil watched him.

"You're so gorgeous," Phil told him and Dan blushed and hid under his fringe. "And don't say you aren't," Phil added and Dan huffed.

"Fine, I'm gorgeous." he said, then chuckled and jumped over Phil's head into the water.

He was barely down for a second before he saw Phil swim past him, his gold tail gleaming as he grinned back at him.

Dan came up for air and then dived back under, chasing after Phil almost hopelessly until the only thing he could see of him was a shimmer of scales.

Dan breached the surface again and gasped, then yelped as he felt hands on his waist and suddenly he was underwater again, Phil beaming in front of him as they stayed where they were, smiling and clutching at each other.

Phil gently slid a hand along Dan's cheek and brought their lips together, a gentle closed mouth kiss so Dan could still breathe (well, not die) before he pushed them back up and came back into open air.

"I really love kissing you underwater," Dan admitted and Phil smiled happily and pecked his lips as Dan slid his arms around his neck, making it easier for him to stay above the water.

"I just love kissing you anywhere," Phil said.

"But that's because you can survive on both water and land, well, air-wise," Dan giggled and Phil rolled his eyes.

"I definitely wouldn't survive, I would be cut up for experiments," Phil frowned and Dan kissed it away.

"Well no ones going to find out about you, at least not from me," Dan told him and Phil smiled thankfully.

"I wish I didn't have to do the same for you," Phil then said and Dan looked confused.

"Would your people dissect me?" Dan asked and Phil shook his head.

"No, we have just been brought up to believe humans are horrible," Phil said and Dan looked down into the water.

"So if they found out about us...?" He trailed off and Phil stroked back his hair.

"They'd kill you and probably torture me," Phil said agitatedly and Dan stroked his hair.

"Well no ones going to find out," Dan said as sincerely as he could, even now he realised how nerve racking this was.

"As long as no one follows me and sees us together without me being able to order them not to it should be fine," Phil smiled and Dan tilted his head.

"Order?" He prompted and Phil bit his lip.

"I don't think I've told you but I'm kind of a prince," Phil admitted and Dan's mouth fell open.

"You're royalty?" Dan said loudly and Phil nodded.