Getting married today

Genre: guess from the title
Word count: 1254

Phil was getting married today.

As soon as he woke up it was the first thought to pass through his mind. He was marrying the man he loved and was going to spend the rest of his life with him. It couldn't be more perfect. He flung his duvet off him and stood up quickly, looking at the time. He stretched out his back and walked quickly to the bathroom, not able to contain his excitement. He even showered in double quick time, just in case he was late, and this was something he couldn't miss. He dried himself off quickly, brushing his teeth with his towel still wrapped around his waist, making sure his breath would be fine for the day, he didn't want his first married kiss to be remembered for his bad breath. He sat on the edge of the bath and quickly logged onto twitter. He typed a quick message and smiled down at his laptop, so happy his fans still supported him in 2022, even if he had gotten a bit old and even now he had come out as gay.

He decided to do his hair before dressing today, changing from his usual routine, he didn't want to take any chances in ruining his suit. He thought about eating something quickly, but he decided against it, he was too excited and nervous for anything to stay down well.

He pulled on boxers and sat down in front of his mirror, starting to divide his hair, wanting it to look its best so not a kink would be in sight. Slowly he ran the GHDs through his hair time after time, completely obliterating any presence of 'bed hair' and smiling at himself, checking his skin for spots of blemishes. None at all. Good. He wanted to look as close to perfection as he could muster. He stood up and went to his wardrobe, carefully taking out his pristine tux and laying it out on his bed. He searched it for any creases and then started pulling on his trousers, doing them up carefully. He was putting his belt on when he heard 3 sharp knocks on his door. Chris poked his head round it and smiled, pretending to shield his eyes.
"Ah, the pale skin! It blinds me!"he shouted, clowning around, pretending to fall backwards, then walking into the room normally.
"Oh shush. What's up?" Phil asked.
"Just seeing how far along you were. It is one of best man duties," Chris pointed out.
"Yeah but if Pj had come then I wouldn't have someone staring at me," Phil joked, sliding his arms delicately into his shirt after spraying himself liberally with deodorant.
"Shush idiot, it's a compliment, you look hot. Your wedding starts in about half an hour if you hadn't noticed the time, so just knock on my door when you are ready okay? Don't be late," Chris smiled, walking back out of the door. Phil grinned after his funny best man, shaking his head at his antics. It had been so long, and he hadn't changed a bit.

He continued dressing, pulling on odd socks and shoes and finally putting on his jacket, adjusting his tie to make it as straight as possible. He checked over his appearance in his mirror and the reflection smiled back at him.

Phil was finally getting married today, and he had been waiting for so long.

He quickly made sure his engagement ring was off his finger and put it into his breast pocket. He needed that finger free for a different ring today. He checked over himself once more before quickly spraying some aftershave on his neck and walked out of his hotel room and knocked on the door opposite. Chris and Pj appeared both a little red faces and giggly.
"Save it for the reception guys," Phil joked and Chris punched his arm.
"Shut up. Come on, you have to be there soon," Chris said and they all walked down the corridor and to the chapel downstairs. Phil stood at the top of the isle and confirmed small details with the minister before looking around nervously. People had started arriving and his parents were sitting near the front, his mother already crying and his father comforting her. He caught eyes with his son and rolled them, making Phil smile. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Chris poked his head around the door, winking at Phil, the signal that it was about to begin.

Phil was getting married today, right this moment. He could hardly believe it.

He smiled at all the little bridemaids walking down the isle, scattering rose petals as they went, making the light perfumed smell fill the quiet service. Chris and Pj then walked down the isle, their arms linked before standing beside Phil, beaming happily at him. Then came his groom. His chestnut hair straightened to perfection, his chocolate eyes sparkling like little stars had been put into them and were making his face glow. He walked down slowly with his mother and father beside him, his mothers arm linked with his own and his father smiling proudly as they reached Phil. They kissed his cheeks and took their seats at the front.

Phil reached out and took his hand, gazing at how perfect his groom was.
"You look amazing,"
"You look beautiful,"
"You ready?" Phil asked quietly.
"I have been for years." Phil squeezed his hand and turned to face the minister, ready to take his relationship to the next and final step.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness these two men finally join in the bonds of holy matrimony. If anyone has any reason why this couple should not be together then please speak now, or forever hold you peace," the minister said loudly, looking out at the people in the seats. No one objected. Who would? They were perfect together. "Philip, would you like to start us off?" The minister asked.
"Of course," Phil said, staring right into the deep brown eyes he had fallen in love with. "I, Philip Michael Lester, take you, Matthew Brian Thompson to be my lawfully wedded husband. To have and to hold, to love and to care for, in sickness and in health til death due us part..."

-----

Daniel Howell ran as fast as he could down the streets, skidding slightly as he turned into the hotel, quickly jogging towards the big double doors to not get held up by people telling him it was inappropriate. He prayed he hadn't missed it. He opened them quietly and his heart broke. He was too late. Phil was kissing Matthew, and they were married. Everyone was so happy, clapping and cheering as they walked down the back down the isle, now united together to take on the world. A single tear fell from Dan's cheek and he looked away. He just couldn't watch.

"Dan?" He heard Phil and turned around, trying to smile. "What are you doing here?" He saw Phil grin, obviously touched Dan had taken the time from his busy schedule which had messed up everything between them to come. He had been invited to the wedding, but how could he turn up to see the love of his life get married? Even his parents had been invited and were in there, only Dan had been missing.
"I just wanted to say...um... Congratulations," he finished flatly. He then smiled quickly at Phil, then turned his back and walked out of the hotel, trudging slowly, unaware of the world and if there was actually any point in staying in it any longer. There was no point in life now he would never have Phil back for his own.

Another tear fell down his cheek. Phil Lester had got married today, but not to him, and it was the worst thing he had ever known. And maybe, even the last.

I'm sorry, that was sad. But because of that, here, have an alternate ending which isn't sad :)

"I, Philip Michael Lester, take you, Matthew Brian Thompson to be my lawfully wedded husband. To have and to hold, to love and to care for, in sickness and in health til death due us part..."

A random crash occurred making everyone stop and look around to the other end of the chapel, the double doors had been flung wide open Dan, a now pale skinny faced boy way standing in the doorway.
"Wait!" He yelled, starting to walk rapidly down the isle towards Phil. Phil was shocked, Dan had left him a while ago, they were still friends but Dan had such a busy schedule they hadn't stayed close. He had always wished Dan hadn't had to work so hard, so this kind of day could happen between them but that's not how life worked. And it wasn't fair. But now he was right in front of him, staring into his eyes. Phil saw how hollow his face had become, how pale and dull his eyes were, he wanted to hold him and make him better, but Matthew took hold of his elbow.
"Phil," Dan said softly, a tear running down his cheek. "I'm just so sorry. I know you love Matthew and you two are perfect together but... I love you too, and I did first and just so much. I don't know how I ever believed that my busy schedule would make my life better, even if it didn't have you in it I somehow believed it would all be fine. But it wasn't. It has been empty and broken. I doubt you still feel the same way about me Phil, but please, if you do, can we maybe try again? I need you in my life Phil, I love you," he said pleadingly, more tears threatening to fall. Phil was about to speak when Matthew pulled Phil behind him, standing face to face with Dan.
"Sorry Dan, but Phil doesn't love you anymore. He loves me and we are getting married today no matter what you say," he said harshly, turning back to smile at Phil, stating his masculinity and dominance.

Phil stared at both of them, Dan with his shoulders hunched, looking like he could have been stabbed through the heart, about to fall any second. Matthew, a big arrogant smile on his face, sneering at the poor broken boy beside him. They looked so alike in looks, both the same style hair, both dark eyes and tan skin. It was shocking up close how they could have been twins, but they weren't. One was just a poor copy of the one he loved.

"Matthew I can answer for myself," Phil said quietly, the danger rising in his voice through the silence. "Matthew, I do love you, but... Just not like Dan. I lost him and you were the closest thing to him I would ever get. I think I fooled myself I was in love with you so I would stop tearing myself up about losing Dan. I'm sorry for that," he said softly. Dan had raised his head, was staring at Phil in slight disbelief.
"Dan-" Phil started, but was cut off by the broken boy flinging his arms around him and kissing his mouth full on. The chapel was silent until a loud whoop came from Chris and clapping started from the rest of the guests. Apart from Matthews of course.

"Phil I should have never let you go, please give me another chance," Dan asked when they broke apart after a few minutes, leaning his head against Phil's.
"Of course I will. We will find a way to work around your schedule and just make it work this time okay?"
"I love you so much,"
"I love you so much too, thank you for making me realise before I made a huge mistake,"

They were suddenly flung apart by Matthew grabbing Dan and throwing him backwards, making him almost fall over.
"Phil, you're not serious are you? He's a freak, an idiot. Why him over me?" He asked harshly, standing right in front of him, teeth grinding as if he was about to bite Phil.
"Because he's perfect. And I love him. And he's a nice person. Unlike you at the moment. I knew his true colours but you never showed yours until now. I am just glad I got out of this before It was too late to back out," Phil told him, and Matt started advancing on him, Phil walking back nervously, stumbling a little as he went. Until Chris and Pj blocked Matt's way.
"I think you should go now," Chris said, squaring his shoulders, extending his height.
"Yes, it's been a pleasure but now you should really go," Pj added. Everyone including Matt knew he wouldn't be able to do anything if Phil was protected so he swore under his breath and walked swiftly out of the chapel. Slowly his parents followed and most of his guests, leaving a group of smiling people, happy for the actual perfect couple.

"Thanks guys," Phil told then, pulling them in for quick hugs.
"Phil?" Dan asked.
"Yeah,"
"This is probably a very stupid idea but seeing as we are already here..." He trailed off, getting down on one knee. Phil's face broke into a huge grin and people started cheering again."I don't have a ring but Philip Micheal Lester, will you do the honour of marrying me today so we can finally put all this crap behind us and do something I have wanted to ever since I fell in love with you?"
"Of course I will Dan. Lets get married,"

Phil was getting married today, but this time, he knew it was the right man and he knew it would last forever.

Was that better? That feels better.