The boy on the bus

Genre: fluffy fluff fluff on buses

Word count: 5200ish

Every morning he is there. The boy on the bus. And he is perfect. Always in the same seat, looking out the window, his brightly coloured headphones in and tapping his finger against his leg to the beat. I don't know what he listens to, but I'd like to find out. I always sit two rows behind him, so I don't get to hear. I don't even know his name. But I know other things about him.

I know he doesn't blink a lot, and that he daydreams almost constantly. I know he sorts out his fringe on an average of every four minutes. I know a lot about him, just by looking. I know his hair smells fruity, as sometimes when he fixes it I get a whiff, and it always smells amazing. I know his eyes are the brightest blue I have ever seen, like the summer sky when clouds don't block it, clear and crystal. I know he dyes his hair too, and wears contacts. His roots are sometimes brown, and sometimes he wears glasses, and I think he's gorgeous either way. I know a lot about this boy, but I don't know his name.

I have heard his voice before, he says thank you to the driver every time he gets off. One stop before mine, Monday to Friday. I guess he is in sixth form, he looks around my age. But it's not mine. I would know if it was. And he gets off to soon for it to be where I go anyway. I also know we have a lot in common. I have seen his Pokemon t-shirts, he even has one of my favourite Pokemon as a shirt, and it really suits him. He also sometimes brings his Ds with him, and I see him playing animal crossing, but I'm not close enough to see his name on it. I just know so much about him, but nothing that could spark a friendship, or something more. I really want to talk to him properly, but I'm too scared.

You see, I am so boring. My name is Dan, if you were wondering, and I am 17 years old. I am, like I said, extremely boring, with dull brown hair and eyes to match. I am unfit and lazy and hardly good enough for this perfect boy, so why should I bother? Yeah we have a lot in common, but he would probably look at me and burn his eyes. I don't want that to happen at all. I think I might love him, but I bet he doesn't know I exist, and if he does, he won't think of me like I think of him. He's standing up to get off the bus now, now is when I get to hear his voice.
"Thank you," he says cheerfully to the driver, then hops off. I wish I could hear him say more, I only get to hear his variations of 'thank you', and the words I long to hear are never spoken. The bus gets going and I stare at him walking away until he's out of sight. It's my turn to get off now, I will see him tomorrow.

*

He's just getting on, and I feel a small smile play at my lips. I always do that when I see him. He walks to his seat and sits down, today pulling out his Ds and starts to play Pokemon. It's the new one, I haven't got it yet, but I'm not surprised he does. My Ds is in my bag, but I don't want to play it this morning. I want to watch him play. I am going to get Pokemon too, I know you can connect with people on it. Maybe then, we could battle, and maybe he would want to get to know me. I doubt it, but I can hope.

He keeps playing, and leans sideways against the window, so he is facing into bus, and I can see half of his beautiful face. He can't seem to concentrate this morning though, and turns off the game. He pulls out his phone and answers a text, frowning. Then another. I think he's having an argument. He looks up suddenly, oh, it's his stop again. He stands up, shoving his phone in his pockets while his cheeks are flushed and grabs his bag, pressing the button and waiting by the door.
"Thanks," he tells the driver sadly, before walking off and trudging away. I want to ask him if he's alright. But I missed my chance, and now I need to get off. I wish we shared the same stop.

*

He looks sad when he walks on today. He flops down, sighing. His eyes look red too. I wish I could hug him, try and make things better for him. But I'm just a stranger. He sits with his back against the window today, looking out at the bus instead of playing games. Something bad must have happened to him. He looks around and then catches my eye, and before I can stop myself, words tumble from my lips.
"Are you okay?" I ask him and he sighs before giving me a weak smile.
"Yeah," he says, and I give him a sympathetic smile back. I know he's lying. He looks away again and ducks his head.