Start to end

Genre: Apocalypse and angst and sadness but some fluff and yeah, warning of blood and death (because apocalypse) (sorry)

Word count: 6455

It's the end of the world and I don't know if we'll make it.

Maybe we should kiss.

After all, we have been in this together from the very start.

*

"Phil! Grab my hand! Quickly!" Dan yelled at me as I stumbled over the scattered bricks and rubble that littered the streets, trying desperately to get to Dan in front of me, helicopter sirens and flash lights shining down, trying to find us, blinding me in the dark. "Phil!" Dan yelled again as I made one final lurch and nearly knocked into him, scared for my life. But, we were used to this now.

My hand gripped his as he dragged me around a corner, tangling ourselves together as we ran, veering around more corners, getting away from the blur of people hunting us.

We raced down some steps into the abandoned subway, seeing a gap in the rubble mostly blocking it and scrambling through. We rushed along the walkways and sat on the edge of the platform, Dan sliding down and helping to catch me as I almost fell, my head spinning before he clutched my hand again and guided me down part of the track, hiding near the edge of one of the tunnels where it was almost pitch black, letting us catch our breath. It was unlikely they would look down here, probably thinking we had to stay on the surface, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

"Are you okay?" he panted, dropping my hand as he doubled over in exhaustion.

"Yeah," I breathed, leaning against the wall and resting my head.

"Use your inhaler," Dan told me and I fumbled in my pocket, pulling it out and using two puffs. I would be so screwed when it ran out. "You really shouldn't stay with me, I slow us both down and nearly get us killed," I told him and I think he shook his head, but I could barely see.

"You're my first choice for everything. I wouldn't want to try and survive with anyone but you," he said and despite the moments I felt a tugging in my heart. But I couldn't think of my attachment to him now. If I really admitted it, it would hurt so much more if... I didn't want to finish that thought.

"Maybe that house was a bad idea," I admitted and I swear I heard him let out a soft chuckle.

"Just a little. But how were we supposed to know that they were checking them? We haven't had any problems before," Dan said, a frown in his voice.

"Well now they know that's where our kind are staying," I said mournfully. No more mattresses to share or food to find and hoard.

"Fucking assholes." Dan muttered.

About six months ago a virus started to spread around. It seemed harmless at first, just sometimes gave people weird mutations, like cat ears or tails or even hooves in some cases. It was okay as not everyone was affected and most people were starting to accept the changes. Until something changed in their DNA. They became viscious and started hunting down every 'pure' they could find across Britain. Other countries were technically safe as our contact was cut off as soon as the disease was found. It did mean that we were stuck however.

When the change happened there was a mere half hour bare warning and me and Dan grabbed what we could before bolting from our apartment and heading on the run. We only found out in time as we had the news on and the presenter tried to warn as many people as possible. The mutations (although I hated that word as it wasn't their fault) had all been summoned on that day for a check up and I guessed that the disease that was passed quite easily- though no one was really sure how- was too strong and formed a chemical default, sending the mutants into crazy mode.