Waiting for the lights

Genre: fluff OMG v cute

Word count: 463

The night sky was Dan's favourite thing.

The purples and blacks swirled together, light grey smoke floating across and the only blemishes being stars and flashing lights from aeroplanes.

Dan liked the stars.

Phil however, loved fireworks.

He loved the immense flashes and the bangs that made you jump in shock before a smile crept over your face and you were entranced by the colours cascading everywhere in rivers of gold, green and red.

Phil loved fireworks.

And that was why they were sitting in a field, waiting for the stars to dim and they sky to brighten.

"I like being here with you," Phil mumbled quietly, nudging Dan gently with his shoulder, close enough that they were almost touching with a blanket draped around them comfortingly.

"I like it too." Dan whispered, nudging him back, smiling at Phil in the half light, gazing at him as he shivered slightly, a small happy smile placed on his lips. Phil swallowed and let out a small shiver, trying not to make it obvious how cold he was.

Dan coughed slightly and moved his arm and hung it around Phil's shoulder, bringing him closer to his body and Phil snuggled into him.

"To keep you warm," Dan said softly and Phil smiled again, pulling the blanket further around them.

"Thank you."

Dan delicately leant his head against Phil's as they continued to stare at the empty sky, Dan wishing it would stay this way while Phil impatient for the stars to scatter but both were happy, completely content with their surroundings.

A high pitched whistle sounded and Phil tensed up beside Dan with excitement, and he couldn't help but smile, glancing over at the child beside him who just a few seconds ago had been so much older than him.

His view returned to the sky and he watched the gunpowder transform into iridescent explosions, controlled yet scattered and Dan started to understand why Phil loved them so much. The pops made his heart dance and the smell made his brain flurry with excitement all while his eyes watched intently at the patterns above him, making his neck stiff but he couldn't care about that now. Not now he understood why Phil loved them so much.

Sometimes you just had to see things from other people's views before you chose your own.

"Dan, look at me." Phil whispered from beside him, and Dan turned to face him, seeing the vivid stars reflected in his eyes. "Thank you, for coming here with me," he whispered and gently pressed his lips against Dan's for a few seconds before pulling away. "I know you don't really like fireworks," he added and Dan shook his head, a small smile on his face.

"I like them a lot more now."