Balanced on a box of cereal

Word count: 2k

Genre: Little bit sad and you might start regretting stuff in your life and I sorry if you do but it ends happily please don't have read this if you have existential crisises easily. Based off the regrets lobe(?) in Dan's new video and the broken heart you could see in there

Dan smiled at all the responses he was getting to his new video. Everyone's comments were positive and he couldn't help but smile at the recognition Phil was getting because of it.

He had been nervous when he asked Phil if he could use the idea, watching as Phil beamed when he said he would love him to.

His heart had skipped a beat at that smile.

**

Dan spent the next day trying to make his fake brain, Phil coming in an helping him out with a few things, cutting up cardboard and even running down to the corner shop when his pens ran out.

He wouldn't stop asking Dan what was going into each one as well. But Dan didn't want to say. He wanted to surprise Phil. And maybe hide for as long as possible.

He got to work editing quickly, all the images he wanted to use right at the front of his head, all pouring out until he got to his lobe of regrets.

Maybe it was a mistake doing this one.

He sat a while, thinking about everything he wished he had done, trying not to let his mind wander too deep into his past.

He regretted not continuing acting.

He regretted quitting the piano.

He regretted not becoming sporty, which he knew was a fantasy, but he still wished he had done it.

He wondered what his life would have been like if he had continued acting. He wondered where he would be now. Would he even be living in this apartment? Would he even know Phil?

He realised how different his life would be without Phil. No one would have listened to him at 3am when he called them worrying about the world. No one would have saved him from his uni dorms.

No one would have shown him what it felt like to be loved properly.

He quickly got up from his bed and walked into the front room, sitting down heavily on the sofa and resting his head in his hands, the thoughts making it too heavy to hold up alone.

"Dan, you okay?" Phil asked and Dan looked up, feeling startled. He hadn't even noticed he was there.

"Do you ever play the 'what if' game?" Dan asked, chewing his lip, looking at the floor.

"Like 'what if we all had monkey tails and could jump off stars'?" Phil asked and a small smile met Dan's lips. Of course Phil would say something like this.

"The darker version of that game," Dan said and he felt a body sit down beside him.

"What are you 'what if-ing' about?" Phil asked gently and Dan sighed.

"What if I hadn't quit acting. What would my life be like now? Would I even be in this apartment, would I even know you?" Dan asked and Phil rested a hand on his knee.

"Dan, are you unhappy with your life now?" Phil asked and Dan slowly shook his head.

"No,"

"Then you don't have to think about what things could have been," Phil told him.

"But what about other things. Like..." A thought clouded his mind. What if he had never broken Phil's heart and made them break up. "What if I had never had the guts to tweet you,"
He said and Phil sighed.