Eyes you can drown in

Genre: fluffy with MERMAIDS YAY (warnings of storms and almost drowning but not because mermaids durr)

Word count: 5252

Dan had always found there was something about the sea that just sort of, enticed him. How its moods were temperamental, sometimes raging, sometimes sighing. You never knew what could be out there, and what emotion it would take.

And that was why Dan spent so much time on the beach. He didn't go into the ocean really, he wasn't as keen as feeling the water on his skin as feeling the way it changed his own emotions.

He liked to walk along the sand barefoot when it was warm, and then scramble over the rock pools at the very edge of the beach and sit there, sometimes with a book, sometimes with a game, sometimes nothing, and just feel the waves around him. Looking, but never touching.

Which is why, on a summers day when the beach was almost empty, as per usual, Dan was sitting and reading a book he had read a billion times before, enjoying the peace.

Then he saw a man swimming in the water, and he was moving as if he was made from the wind.

He wasn't too far away from where Dan was sitting either, and he was just bobbing around, twisting and diving before he disappeared for ever such a long time, making Dan stand up in worry, searching for him as his book fell across the rocks, trying to see if he had just popped up somewhere else.

He was all about ready to call for help to save this man, when his head breached the surface a few feet from where Dan was, his raven black hair with a shimmer of green, cut in a fringe across his forehead flicking off water as he grinned, seeing Dan's shocked expression as he didn't notice his book falling into the water.

"Were you really that worried?" the boy asked him, grinning cheekily, making Dan blush slightly and rub the back of his neck.

"You went under for such a long time, I thought you might have drowned," Dan called back and the boy laughed. "No wait, you were watching me?" Dan then asked, almost outraged.

"You were watching me too though. Do you like the way I swim?" the man asked, ducking under gracefully and then coming back up even closer to him, making Dan sit back down, searching for his book to try and ignore this conceited person. But it wasn't anywhere around him.

"Shit." he cursed under his breath before the boy pulled his hand out from under the water, holding the book up. "Where did you get that?" Dan asked.

"It fell in the water silly." the boy told him and moved right up to the edge, holding it out for Dan to take. Dan squinted at him, as if unsure, before reaching out and taking the book off him, finally noticing how his eyes were the exact colour of the ocean around them.

They were beautiful.

"I'm Phil, by the way," the man said and Dan sighed over his book, before resting it back beside him and turning his attention onto Phil.

"My name's Dan," Dan replied.

"I know, it's in the cover of your book. It looked pretty well read when you dropped it, what is it?"

"It's a book of fairy tales," Dan said, blushing shyly at how meek it seemed. "My mum gave it to me when I was little. I promised I would take good care of it, but it looks ruined now that I managed to outdo myself in idiocy and drop it in the water, but I guess... thanks for getting it back for me," he said and Phil smiled at him, his teeth shining like pearls.

"You're welcome. It looked precious so I didn't want you to lose it completely," Phil said honestly and Dan found himself giving Phil a genuine smile.