Chapter Nineteen

Kiana Fray

Isabelle and I say our goodnights and make our way to our separate bed rooms. I saw Alec cuddled up to my body pillow holding it against him tightly. A small smile forms on my lips and I remove the bracelet my mother had given me and place it on my night stand. I shake Alec awake and smile as he opens his eyes.

"Where'd you go," Alec asked.

"It doesn't matter," I smile. "I'm here."

He lifts his arm up and I lay beside him and cuddle and take in his warmth. I felt his lips touch my temple and I fell sound asleep.

••

I woke up a few hours later to Alec missing. I quickly rise from my bed and look at the time before I go and get ready. I feel for the bracelet but I don't find it. I furrow my eyebrows.

"I know I put it there last night," I mutter to myself.

I quickly shower and get ready for the day and walk around the Institute. I spot Isabelle who seems to be comforting Clary.

"What's going on," I ask.

"Don't tell me he took your bracelet too," Clary asks.

"Who? What," I ask.

"Alec took my necklace because I saw Valentine last night and he said my name. The Cup for —" Clary began.

"Your mother," we finish in unison.

Clary furrowed her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side.

"You saw that too," Clary asks.

I nod.

"It only makes sense considering you both have portal shards in your jewelry," Isabelle said.

"Kiana, he took away the only way we can see mom and know if she's okay," Clary said.

Isabelle's eyes widen as she sees me clench my fists.

"Kiana, Alec may be mean and harsh about things but he means well," Isabelle said.

"I just want my bracelet and her necklace back," I spat.

Before she could stop me I storm away from the two and look around the Institute endlessly until I finally found Alec.

"Alexander Lightwood," I growl.

His eyes widen and he nervously sends me a small smile.

"Are you okay Kiana," Alec asks.

"Oh I'm fine until you took the only form of seeing our mother away from my sister and I," I said.

"I couldn't risk it Kiana, he could look into the Institute and gather intel," Alec said.

"That's all you care about," I scoff.

"He could —" Alec began.

"Alec, your mother is here," Raj whispered.

"Thanks Raj, you're dismissed," Alec sighed.

Raj left the room and Alec shook his head and rubbed his temples.

"Can we talk about this later," Alec asked.

"No," I snap. "I want them back."

"You'll get them back eventually I just —" Alec said. "I need to see my mother."

"I need to see my mother to," I snapped.

Alec leaves the room and I follow after him. I saw Jace and a women hugging and then I saw through Isabelle. I heard her thoughts.

"She'll never except me like she does with them."

Her eyes meet mine and then Alec's and then mine again. I send her a small smile.

"Mother, Welcome back. We didn't expect you," Alec said.

Alec and his mother hug one another.

"You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not," she said.

They pull away from the hug and she looks at me.

"I am, we are," Alec said.

Her eyes wander around the room until they land on me.

"You must be Kiana," She spoke.

I nod.

"I'm Maryse," she said.

"I know who you are," I said.

She lifted one eyebrow and looked at me intently before walking around us all.

"We'll talk about the Institute later. Right now, we have a bigger problem," she said. "The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why."

"It's obvious they're upset you asked them to send scouts to find Valentine," I answer.

"But no one in their realm will talk," Maryse said.

"I have Seelie friends," Isabelle said.

"Yes, I know all about your friends," Maryse said.

I look up at Alec and squint my eyes. If he's the one who told on Isabelle. I'll punch him.

"Isabelle, we stay separate from the Downworld for good reason," she said. "The wrong move. The wrong word... do you think there's such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures. Maybe you told him... them..."

I couldn't stand it anymore.

"Listen lady, I don't know where you get your parenting skills from but that is no way to talk to your daughter, Isabelle does the best she can to keep the Mundane world safe and if you're just going to belittle her then you're even more messed up than my parents who gave me away because they wanted too," I snap. "Appreciate what you have here in front of you before it's gone."

With that I roll my eyes and face Alec.

"Because in the end you'll end up losing the one you love the most or the people you love the most due to your stubborn demeanor, now if you excuse me I'll be anywhere but here," I snap.

I exit the room along with Clary not really caring.