Chapter Fourty Five

Alec Lightwood

I look around the room for the one person I need to see the most to calm my nerves. I haven't seen Kiana since her mission with Clary, Jace and Magnus. I was worried about her. I saw my parents enter and my mom approached me first.

"When you first proposed to Lydia, I'll admit, I was wary. But now you've made me so proud," mom said.

Then why don't I feel proud. I sent her a forced smile and shook my father's hand before they went to find their seats.

"All right, you're ready for this," Jace asks. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I lied.

"Good," Jace said.

If Kiana wasn't here I sure was glad that Jace was.

"I'm glad you're here with me," I said.

"Wouldn't be anywhere else," Jace said.

My eyes then travel to Simon who enters and joins Clary in the front. I got into position and Jace sent me a small smile. The silent brother hit his staff into the ground.

"Attention, the ceremony is about to commence," He said.

The music went off and Isabelle entered the room with Lydia following behind her. Lydia wore a wide smile on her face. I hold a hand out for Lydia. I wish it were Kiana... Lydia wrapped the bracelet onto my wrist as I take the necklace and place it over her and clasping it shut. She turns to face Isabelle.

"It is time for Alec Lightwood and Lydia Branwell to mark each other with the Wedded Union rune," the Silent Brother said. "A rune on the hand. A rune on the heart. A union is born.

Lydia was about to rune my hand when we heard a small crash. We all turn and see Kiana entering the room. She turns around frozen in her place.

"She came," Isabelle smiled.

Kiana's eyes were filled with pain as we lock eyes with one another. Kiana looked so beautiful like she always did the moment I first saw her.

"She's what is she doing," Jace asks confused.

She wasn't doing anything but keeping eye contact with me. My mother and father rose and walk back to her.

"Kiana, you need to leave this wedding now," mom said.

Kiana held her fingers up in front of my mom.

"I'm sorry Maryse, but this is between me and your son," Kiana said walking towards me. "I'll leave if he asks me to."

"Are you going to be okay buddy," Jace asks from behind.

I let out a content sigh as I watch the girl I love keep her eyes on me and I can see that she wants me to choose her.

"Alec," Lydia whispers.

I turn and face her. For my family.

"Hey," Lydia smiles.

"I can't breathe," I gasp.

"I know. It's okay," Lydia smiled.

For my family? Or for my own happiness? I think of all the good times I've had with Kiana. Her smile. Her laugh. Her cute little snore when she's sound asleep. Everything...