Chapter Fifty One

Kiana Branwell

"There's a clear pattern. Young, strong, highly-skilled fighters, all abducted from boxing clubs, dojos and gyms," Lydia said.

"You should be resting," Alec whispered.

"There's no time for rest," I said.

"Valentine must've realized that even with the Cup, creating Shadowhunters isn't easy," Isabelle said.

"He needs mundanes who are more likely to survive the conversion," I said.

"When did the briefing start? Nobody told me," Clary said now joining us.

"That wasn't an accident," Isabelle said.

"Your job is to stake out the potential targets, and catch the Circle members when they try to abduct them. We capture a Circle member, we have a shot at Valentine," Lydia said.

"And Jace," I ask.

"That's how we get to him before they try and kill him," Lydia said.

"Just keep your cool in front of the boss," I said.

"You have your orders. Dismissed," Lydia said.

Alec wastes no time in pulling me aside to get away from Clary. He was really harsh towards her but it was true. She didn't quite fit in with this world. She was too Clary. Clary soon enough approached us.

"Izzy -  Kay, please. You wouldn't want to be benched on this. Let me come with you," Clary said.

"Did you not hear me before? There's no place for you here. Let's go, Izzy, Kay," Alec snapped.

He stormed off leaving us behind.

"Hey, Clary, all those things Alec said about you... you know I don't feel that way," Isabelle and I said.

"You have every right to," Clary said.

"None of this is your fault," Isabelle said.

"Alec, he's stressed out. With his parabatai gone, he's like a different person," I said.

"Alec's right. I'm not one of you. I'm just some girl from Brooklyn who went out to celebrate her birthday and came back with a present she never wanted. And can't return," Clary frowned.

"You don't want to return that present. It's a blessing," I said.

"Not for me. I just... I want to feel normal again, Isabelle and Kiana. I... I want my old life back," Clary said.

"I'm sure and so do I," I said.

"But don't you get it? You have a target on your back. The Institute is the safest place for you. You have a new life now. You have me and Kiana. And that's not gonna change," Isabelle said.

-

"He said the best fighters in the city come here. It's only a matter of time before Valentine hits this place," Isabelle said.