Chapter Forty Three

Kiana Branwell

"Ragnor's house is just across these fields," Magnus said.

Jace and I literally speed walk past Clary and Magnus as we exit the portal.

"Good, let's make this quick," I said.

"We'll talk to Ragnor, then portal him back to the Institute before anyone noticed we're gone," Jace said.

"They didn't notice I was gone, I highly doubt they'll notice you two gone," I scoff.

"So brother and sister, huh? And uh ex girlfriend and soon to be sister in law," Magnus asks.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Jace and I said in unison.

"What, so we're just gonna be work buddies now," Clary asks. "All about the mission and totally ignore the huge bomb that just dropped on us."

"What do you want me to say Clary, that I was attracted to my sister," Jace spat. "I should've stuck with liking Kiana."

"Piss off," I snapped.

"Maybe this will all make sense when we wake Jocelyn up," Magnus said. "Since she's Jace's mother as well."

Jace stopped in his tracks and faces Magnus and I push him off.

"Don't say that again, Maryse is my mother. At best, Jocelyn is the woman who abandoned me. I don't expect any of you to understand," Jace snapped.

I punched Jace across the jaw.

"I, of all fucking people know how that feels you little asshole. I fucking hate you, you think you're having a hard time," I punched him in the gut,"my biological sister is getting married to the man I love and I have to sit here and do nothing about it. I'm about to be his sister in law. My parents abandoned me Jace and if you ever speak ill of the woman who took me in when no one wanted me you can shove your little attitude up your ass," I spat.

"She didn't abandon you Jace. She thought you were dead," Clary spat.

"Maybe she didn't want me," Jace spat.

"JUST DROP IT. FUCKING SHIT. BOTH OF YOU GROW UP YOU'RE ADULTS NOT CHILDREN. I came along to escape my relationship drama, not get a front row seat to yours," I snapped.

"What was that," Jace asks looking around.

"Nice try Jace. You're not getting out of this conversation easily," Clary said.

"Fray, if you know what's good for you drop it right now before I drop you," I growl.

"Look out!"

All of a sudden blue and green flames emerge from the grass and Jace pulls me with him and falls to the grass with me on top. I get off of him and help him up.

"Thanks," we mutter to one another.

"Ragnor put up wards to protect his lair," Magnus said.

"Why is the fire green," Clary asks.

"It's a wall of fire that only the pure of heart and intention can pass through. Are you ready?" Magnus said.

I don't reply or look at them I just walk through the fire ignoring their calls. I appear on the grass as Clary, Jace and Magnus disappear.