Chapter Eight

Kiana Fray

We all exit Simon's van in silence. Alec glancing at me every other second.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy," Simon said.
"Not at all."

"Don't tell me you're afraid," Isabelle chuckled.

"Are you kidding me? I was born afraid," Simon said. "Which sounded a lot better in my head."

"I agree," I said. "Let's go."

"Let's check it out," Alec said.

Alec and I lead the way side by side. His eyes still glancing at me to make sure I'm still besides him.

"I'm still here," I sigh. "Stop glancing at me."

I turn around and see that Jace and Isabelle made Simon and Clary wait by the van.

"Why aren't they following," I ask.

"We need to make sure it's safe," Jace said.

"Why am I following," I ask.

"You can handle yourself well," Jace shrugged.

"Like the night in the club," Isabelle said.

I shrugged my shoulders and followed Alec.

"I'm going to look over there, alone," I sigh.

Alec didn't follow me this time and I turn around and see him, Jace and Isabelle huddled together talking amongst one another. The coast looked clear from where I stood and I saw the others wave for me to return and for Simon and Clary to come hither.

I see that Jace is holding Clary's hand and Simon looked really sad. I joined Simon in the back and held his hand.

"You okay Si," I ask.

"Just ultra freaked out by this," Simon said.

"Like how you were ultra freaked out when we went to that Haunted House last year and I knocked out the clown," I chuckle.

"That was actually pretty awesome," Simon smiled. "I'm glad we're best friends."

"I am too Simon Lewis," I chuckle.

"Kiana come here," Jace called.

"Duty calls Lewis," I smile. "I love you okay."

"I love you to," Simon smiled.

I let go of Simon and joined Jace.

"You have to understand that the Silent Brothers aren't like us," Jace said.

"They lack your charm and superior people skills," Clary asks.

"They're not as ugly as you Jace," I chuckle.

"I'll have you know," Jace began. "Never mind. Brothers communicate without using words, using just their thoughts."

"That doesn't sound too bad," Clary said.

"Not when you can hear multiple thoughts speaking to you at the same time Clary," I sigh.