dream sequence | eleven

Rain poured down from overhead, the void sky somehow seemed even darker than its normal pitch black. Water ran down the bridge of my nose, pooling, before enough liquid converged and it dropped to the grassy floor. My breath was shallow as I tried my best to believe that I wasn't scared.

My shoulders trembled uncontrollably as my eyelids fluttered shut. He was here. My shadow hovered mere inches from me. His black exterior a mirror image of what was deep inside. He was the root of it all - all my nightmares, all my anxieties and negative thoughts. He was the problem and one day I hoped to find the solution.

A low whine could be heard deep in my throat as I felt his cold breath waft across my cheeks. My eyes stayed clamped shut and I willed myself to turn and run, but my entire body was frozen in its huddled position. It felt like there were bricks tied to my feet and yet somehow I found a way to take a shaky step back.

"Don't go," He said.

My jaw tightened as his deep voice pleaded for me to stay. But I didn't listen and took another step away.

"Don't go," He repeated himself, but didn't move from where he was.

I choked back a cry as his cold hand burned the skin on my arm as he suddenly reached forward and grabbed at me. My eyes were wide as I listened to him chuckle at my pain. I looked over my shoulder for a brief second, contemplating how quickly it would take me to get from where I stood to the tree line.

"Don't go out there."

His voice was almost teasing me. Like he knew if I took to the forest I'd only end up in horrible circumstances. He was the problem. Could I be the solution? Do I stay? Or do I do what I do best... and run?

A branch snapped under the weight of my foot as I took another step away from my fears.

.