reality | eighteen

"He is falling in love,
He knows it's enough,
And the world looks down and frowns."

. . . . .

I cringed at the sound as Johnny once again hit the snare drum with a little too much force. I stood crouched behind him as my finger reached out and pointed to each head he needed to hit, mouthing the beat he should keep to.

Tyler stood on the other side of the drum set, ukulele in hand. There was an amused smirk on his face as he continued to play along with Johnny's horrible attempt at learning one of our songs. But he was trying as hard as he could and he was definitely improving.

As Johnny and Tyler continued to play, my attention moved across the room to where Bryce sat with Jenna. It made me giddy and nervous all at the same time to have those two talking to each other and actually getting along. I really valued Jenna's opinion on people and if she didn't mesh well with someone it meant something. But as I watched the two women talk in hushed tones I began to feel anxious.

My heart leapt into my throat as Bryce glanced my way and I couldn't help myself as I bit at my lower lip and smiled. She smiled back as reassurance before turning to reply to whatever Jenna had just said. I tried not the wonder if they were talking about me. It was such a paranoid way to live and I really needed to learn how to get over myself. I was the one who was making my mind run wild.

"You good, dude?" Tyler brought me back to reality and I quickly turned to look up at him.

"Uhhuh," I mumbled as I stood to full height and stretched my arms up above my head, my muscles tensing as I did so.

"Let's take a break and get something to eat, okay Johnny boy?" I patted him on the shoulder to make sure he had heard me.

"Kay." He slid off the stool and trotted over to where Bryce sat at the piano bench before laying the top half of his body across her lap.

She ruffled his hair casually as he stood up again and raced into the house once Tyler had opened the door for him. I stopped short next to my friend as he held the door open for Jenna and Bryce to go inside before us.

"Thank you, Tyler." Jenna smiled at her fiancé as she stepped up into the house and disappeared.

I felt a soft grip on my hand as Bryce wrapped her fingers around mine for only a second. Her eyes met with my own as she held back a smile, following quickly after Jenna. My nose scrunched and my cheeks involuntarily heated up. It was a tiny romantic gesture, but it had my heart racing nonetheless.

"Well wasn't that just adorable." I scoffed at Tyler as he held back a laugh. I really hated how observant he was sometimes.

"Shut up." I nudged him gently as I stepped by him and entered the house.

Tyler was close on my tail, giggling like a little school girl as we headed into the kitchen where Jenna and Bryce stood making sandwiches for everyone.

. . . . .

I forced back a chuckle as Johnny sat across from me laughing at something Tyler was explaining. He held his ham sandwich in his hands, pieces dropping out the bottom and onto his plate as he laughed louder. I ate slowly, trying my best not to look at Bryce every few seconds from her spot next to her nephew.

"Christmas is soon!" Johnny spoke up.

"What do you think you'll get for Christmas this year?" Tyler asked as he took an large bit of his food.

"I made a list." Johnny breathed loudly as he started reciting all the things that were on it. "And mom is throwing a big party on Christmas Eve."

My eyes turned up toward Bryce to see that she was already looking my way, but I quickly turned back to Johnny as he said my name.

"Mom said I could invite friends over and I want you and Tyler to come," He spoke excitedly.

"I don't think we're cool enough to hang with you and your friends, kid." A lopsided smile formed on Tyler's face as he joked.

"Yeah." I nodded my head in agreement.

My mind drifted back to when Bryce had talked about the party while we had sat in my car eating ice cream a week earlier. I hoped and prayed her plans hadn't changed and that she would still be there.

"You're going to be there, right?" The question left my mouth before I had a chance to stop it.

Bryce smiled at me and nodded. "I told you already I would be. Plus I have to watch out for this boy."

She patted Johnny on the head like he was a dog and he huffed as he took a bite of his lunch. I kept my eyes on Bryce, her smile never fading as I glanced down at her lips for a brief second.

"Good. We'll definitely be there then." I confirmed for everyone in the room.

It felt weird, but good to have the slightest bit of confidence bubble up inside me as Bryce's cheeks turned a light shade of pink the longer I looked at her. Johnny interrupted our staring contest as he threw his hands in the air with delight, gabbing on about how fun the party would be now that he knew we were coming.

I made sure to nod my head along with him as he continued on. But even so my eyes still made their way back over to the pretty girl who sat next to him. Bryce smiled at me once again and I felt my heart flutter. I never liked keeping eye contact, but with Bryce it was easy. I could stare at her all day long.

. . . . .

A/N: Cute little filler for you all!! Is this my first author's note? I don't know. I've been trying to keep this book clean of them because I feel like they disrupt the flow.

These chapters were pretty much posted just for the dream sequence for this one. Not sure how many of you actually read those, but if you have been you might be able to take a guess as to what's going to happen in the up coming chapters. But anyways, thank you to all who are reading nonetheless!!! I love this book and I hope you do too. :)