reality | twenty

"Be the one, be the one
To take me home and show me the sun."

. . . . .

I chewed thoughtfully as the end of the pen I held tightly in my hand. My eyes took a moment to run over the words that I had scribbled onto the previous page before I flipped back to the clean sheet.

Hesitating for only a second, I put the pen to paper once again. The only word I wrote on the page was 'ice'. I felt a shiver run down my spine at just the thought of that frozen lake. I shut my eyes and tried to remember the time Bryce and I had gone to that park. It wasn't scary then, so it shouldn't be scary now either.

Ever since Bryce had given me the journal I had been writing in it non-stop. I wanted to believe that what she said might be true. If I saw the words on paper they would no longer be a threat to me. I just had to make myself believe that.

My eyes turned to look out the kitchen windows as I sat at the table on the far side of the room. Frost had crept up from the corners of the windows, creating beautiful works of art as they swirled over the glass. Outside it seemed as though the snow would never stop falling. It had started early yesterday morning and continuously fell until now. There was no end in sight.

I pursed my lips pensively as I ran a hand through my fluffy pink curls. I just wanted to prove to Bryce and to Tyler, and maybe eventually myself, that I could get over these dreams. That they weren't going to be the reason I kept sleeping so poorly.

There was a slight creak of the wooden floorboards and I turned my head up to see Tyler standing in the doorway. His shoulder was propped up against the doorframe as his eyes watched me carefully. I noted that even though it was still early morning, he was fully dressed as though he was going somewhere.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he finally came into the room and instead now slouched back against the counter by the sink.

I smiled slightly and I watched as his head tilted in regards to my reaction. "Good... Surprisingly."

His eyes scrunched shut as he gave me a big smile and nodded his head in approval. "I guess Bryce's gift has done you well."

"I think so, yeah." I nodded in agreement as I looked back down at the lined paper.

The end of my lips turned downward as the single word I had written on the page seemed to taunt me. I shut the notebook then, lacing my fingers together and setting them on top of the leather bond book.

There was still a smile on Tyler's face as he spoke again. "Take your time with it, man. You've only just started, so realizing the irrelevance of your dreams may take some time."

Irrelevance. I wasn't sure if that was the proper word to use because on many occasions my dreams had seemed to coincide with my reality. But I had pushed that idea away because no one likes a crazy person. And if my dreams continued on the way that they have been and this dream journal didn't end up helping, I may be left with nothing.

"I'm going though." Tyler's voice pulled me from my deep thoughts. "Jenna and I have more wedding plans to arrange."

I chuckled as he made an 'ew' face. It was obvious how excited he actually was to finally be married to the love of his life. I wanted that someday.

"Be careful," I called after my friend as he headed for the front hall. "It's nasty out."

"I will." Tyler smiled reassuringly and gave me a thumbs up.

With that he was gone and I was once again alone with my thoughts. I stared down at the notebook that still sat closed on the table in front of me. My nose scrunched in frustration and I quickly stood from my seat, the need for a break from analyzing my dreams sounding good in that moment.

So like most days I ended up lounging on the couch with a movie playing across the tv screen. My mind trying its best to push away the nightmares all my friends seemed to want me to remember.

. . . . .

A/N: What? Another authors note, how strange!! :P Anyways I just love the gif at the top, like to me that is the epitome of what Twenty One Pilots is. Just two boys, each one saying how much greater the other is. I'd call that selflessness.

Hope you peeps are enjoying this book! Vote? Comment? Love.

.