dream sequence | twenty-nine

"W-who's there?" My voice trembled as I kept my eyes shut tight.

"Your friend." The low growl of the voice was oh so familiar to my ears.

My breath was shallow as I finally opened my eyes. I could feel the snow as it soaked through my jeans, my knees pressed against the cold ground. My gaze stayed on the forests floor below as a strange rumbling chatter rose up through the darkness that surrounded me.

I winced as the noise only grew louder and though I couldn't make out what was being said, I knew that their words were mocking me. My arms wrapped around my body as I tried to conceal myself. I tried to disappear away from who I knew was watching me. If only the snow and the roots below would swallow me up until I was gone.

The voices quickly died down and a chilling breeze whipped through the trees, making damp strands of my hair stick to my forehead as the rest blew around. I shook as the wind laughed at my distress and then once again the voices returned, this time joining in with the wind and laughing at my misery.

Why couldn't I stand up for myself? Why did I just allow myself to take what was doled out to me?

My arms fell to my sides and my body tensed momentarily as I stood from my resting position. I had to make a stand. I had to fight.

With my jaw set, I turned my harsh gaze up toward my shadow as he stood menacingly over me. His body stretched high above me as he stared down at me with that same devilish grin he always wore. I could feel my knees as they wobbled slightly, but I kept my eyes locked on my shadow. And for the first time I didn't run or cower away in fear. I stood my ground.

"You are not my friend."

.