reality | nineteen

"But then I remembered when you packed my car,
You reached in the back and buckled up your heart."

. . . . .

My shoulders shook as I curled further into the blankets on top of me. Though there was warm air circulating around me, my entire body felt cold as though I laid on my back in the snowdrift I had fallen into in my dream.

My eyes parted as a light knock signaled that someone was at my bedroom door. I ran a hand through my hair as I propped myself up on my elbows, letting out a long breath.

"Josh?" Tyler's head popped into my room after he had opened the door ajar. "Oh good, you're up!"

I grunted. "Barely."

I could see him tilt his head to the side in thought before he stepped into the room, leaving the door open. "It's Christmas frickin' Eve, Josh. Be merry!!"

I scoffed at his happy attitude, but couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips. I finally sat up and rubbed my bare arms as goosebumps appeared on my skin.

"Is it cold in here?" I looked up at Tyler in question as though I didn't trust myself to tell.

He shrugged. "Feels fine to me."

"Hmm." I hummed to myself as I stood and moved toward the bathroom. I guess my mind had just been playing tricks on me again.

"I've got breakfast on the table so come down before it gets cold!" Tyler called after me in a singsong voice as he turned and headed back downstairs.

"Thanks, mom," I mumbled as I shut the bathroom door behind me.

. . . . .

Even from my spot standing on the front porch of my house I could still hear the loud Christmas music that blasted through the speakers inside Bryce's house. The sun was just now beginning to fall behind the horizon, giving the entire neighborhood a reddish glow.

"You ready, buddy?" Tyler came out onto the porch, Jenna close behind him.

I nodded my head without saying a word and took a step down off the porch. All day the only thing on my mind was how tonight was going to be the Christmas party that Bryce's sister was throwing. For a while my nerves had gotten the best of me, so much so that I thought about not going, but now after worrying for hours I felt like it was going to be a night to remember.

"You look like total idiots." Bryce stood in the open doorway of their house once we had rung the doorbell.

The warm air from inside tickled my cheeks, but the redness that formed on them was from Bryce's words. She was right, Tyler and I did look like complete idiots in our matching Christmas sweaters, but I couldn't have cared less as I just smiled down at her.

"Thanks!" Tyler gushed in response as he stepped around her and into the house.

Jenna walked in after him, greeting Bryce with a hug and a friendly hello. I stood still in my spot on the porch, hesitating before I too made my way inside. I could feel my heart as it started to pick up speed. I hadn't really seen Bryce since her and Johnny had come over so I could teach him some more drumming the week before and as always it was hard to tell what she was thinking in the moment.