dream sequence | twenty

The soft pitter-patter of rain could be heard as it fell from overhead, but I couldn't feel it. Instead it seemed as though there was some kind of invisible barrier that shielded me from the pain I knew the rain would cause.

Outside the barrier I could see my shadow as he stood, soaking in the rain. Though even as he held his hands out to catch it, the water still passed right through him. He was a ghostly figure, a mirror image of myself shrouded in shadows. He waited in the depths of my mind, forever trying to find a way to surface.

I shut my eyes as his gaze landed on me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up in fear as a shiver ran down my spine. Just a simple look and he had me paralyzed.

I tried to think of sweet things, anything that would help pull me from this dark place. But only flashes of green eyes and light hearted smiles appeared. My eyebrows furrowed as I concentrated on the warm feeling they gave off. But the more I reached for the memory, the more I seemed to forget whose eyes they belonged to.

The rain grew heavier as it beat down against the trees and my invisible shield. My eyes opened as the memories faded and my mind just seemed to go blank. There was nothing as though the only thing that was certain was the dark forest that surrounded me.

I gasped at the sudden sensation of needles piercing skin as the rain invaded my sanctuary. The cruel sound of my shadow's laugh vibrated through the trees as he stepped back into the darkness.

This place was the only thing that was certain in my life.

.