dream sequence | fifteen

The feeling of suspension was all too familiar. My body felt weightless as I hung in place and even with my eyes wide open, I still couldn't see through the murky blackness around me.

It was odd to feel almost relaxed in a place like this, but I did and I welcomed the calmness. But moments like these lacked in time and within seconds I could hear the sound of rushing water hit my ears.

My eyes shut for a brief second, wondering if I had only imagined the noise as it became silent. It was a sound I hadn't heard in such a long time. I had almost believed that I would no longer dream of that horrible day, but I should have known better.

As I opened my eyes my lips parted in surprise when I saw my shadow that hung over me. Water rushed into my mouth and down my throat; the more I consumed the further down I sank. My shadow watched pleasantly as I thrashed around, but it was to no avail.

I tumbled over, rolling with the undercurrent of the water I hadn't realized I had been submerged in. Bubbles blurred my vision as yet another force pulled me back in the opposite direction, the swift tugging motion only causing more water to fill my lungs.

I tried to choke up the liquid, but nothing came up and the more I tried to release the tension building inside me, I felt sick. Another current grabbed me, throwing my body to the side and instead of staying suspended in the water, I tumbled out of its clutches and rolled out onto a hard surface.

My clothes were drenched, a pool of water forming underneath me as I lay sprawled out on my back. The temperature began to drop and it was then that I felt my insides start to constrict. I quickly turned over, pressing my hands against the cold surface as water came up through my throat and spilled out onto the ground.

I hunched my back even further as tears involuntarily collected in my eyes. My entire body shook as I continued to empty the contents of my stomach until there was nothing left. I breathed heavily, wrapping my arms around myself as the need to throw up finally ceased.

Droplets of water dripped from my hair, my eyes following them down each strand until they decided it was their time to fall and hit the ground. My breath began to even out as I stayed huddled in the same position.

I didn't look up. I didn't move. I stayed exactly where I was, praying the entire time that nothing would come and take me. And for once, my nightmares did as I asked.

.