reality | forty-seven

"He never really told a lie
but this time he decides that it's alright."

. . . . .

A shaky breath left my lips as I awoke, but I refused to open my eyes. I took a moment and basked in the silence of my room, a slight headache had formed overnight, but it wasn't anything a painkiller couldn't fix.

My fingers ran over the soft bed sheets, the space next to me was empty and yet still slightly warm. It was then that I finally opened my eyes, turning over onto my side to face the spot where Bryce had slept the night before. Even after a week Bryce was still undecided about staying here and every morning she would wake up and be out of the house before I opened my eyes. She obviously had a lot on her plate, but I still made sure to make her as comfortable in my home as possible. I wanted her to feel like she could stay here, which in turn would hopefully get her to move in.

A light smile formed on my face as I rolled over onto my other side to see the little slip of paper Bryce had left me. I didn't quite understand why she liked to write out morning messages because within an hour of her leaving I knew she would text me. But it was cute and it made my heart swell with happiness each morning because I knew a note would be waiting.

Hello sunshine!
Don't be too cranky this morning.
I left you a pot of coffee downstairs.
- B

I bit back a smile and rolled my eyes at her short message. Even when she wasn't around, Bryce still found a way to poke fun at my moods. I then turned to my phone to check the time, but stopped when I saw a message flashing from Bryce. My eyes scanned over the text once and then again. It stated the Johnny wasn't feeling well and that he would be staying home from school that day.

I frowned slightly at the message. Of course he didn't feel well. I'd want to take as many sick days as possible if my father had left me the way his had. After texting back a short reply, I stood from the bed. I stretched my arms out behind my back and tilted my head from side to side to release some tension before I made my way out of my room.

The house was quiet, which meant Tyler wasn't here either and I was alone. I walked into the living room and clicked on the tv, turning the volume up loudly to take up the silence. My phone began to vibrate in my hand as I set the remote control down on the coffee table and made my way toward the kitchen. It was my mother.

"Hey mom," I mumbled still only half awake and stopped once I had gotten to the coffee maker to see that Bryce had indeed left me a fresh pot.

"Hi honey! Did I wake you?" She asked in a chipper mood and I knew exactly why.

"No, I just haven't had any coffee yet," I spoke through a yawn before I quickly grabbed a mug and filled it with the dark liquid.

My mother had been calling almost everyday now. I had told her that Bryce and I may end up coming to her house for Sunday dinner and she literally squealed with joy. But I guess that was because I never brought girls over so it was nice to see her excited about something in my life that didn't have to do with me finding a real job.

"I just wanted to call and ask what Bryce likes to eat." I could hear the sound of paper crinkling in the background and knew that she was ready to write down anything I had to say.

"Mom," I strained my voice. "Please don't make a big deal out of this. She's just a girl."

"Exactly!" The tone of her voice rose as she spoke. "A girl that you obviously like a lot-"