dream sequence | forty-seven

"Don't go."

My shadows voice pierced my ears, causing them to ring out. The lightheadedness I felt grew exponentially along with the high pitch screeching that rattled my brain. He was desperate.

"Ah!" I couldn't take the noise and clamped my hands over my ears in hopes it would stop, but it only seemed to worsen.

The branch I had climbed up on shifted slightly from my weight and in that moment I lost my balance. Air rushed around me, the fall making it feel as though the distance from the low branch and the ground had grown dramatically. The thump of my body as it hit the hard rocks and roots was an unexplainable sound, and I expected to feel the ache in my bones, but there was nothing.

I took in a slow breath, letting my lung inflate and my eyes close. The ringing in my ears was gone only because my shadow had gotten me right where he wanted me. But I would never stop trying to get away.

His deep laugh echo through the trees of the dark forest below me as he continued to hide in the shadows casted by the trees. My body shook to life and my eyelids opened slowly as I stood to my feet.

My forehead creased and I could feel my heart as it leapt into my throat, making it almost impossible to breathe. The old rotted tree had become massive, reaching up and disappearing into the clouds. My eyes grew wide as I stepped closer to the tree and looked up high into the branches above me to see a child's treehouse tucked away. Its wooden walls matched the tree's bark perfectly as though it had grown straight from the trunk.

The beautiful budding flower was gone, or maybe it was trapped inside. Whatever the case, I knew my shadow didn't want me near it, but I had to get there. I had to know if this was the destination I had been searching for.

.