dream sequence | twenty-one

My knees shook, but I tried to keep them steady as I took another step forward on top of the expansive lake. Snow fell from the sky, floating down and brushing its cold partials against my face. Flakes stuck to my eyelashes and I wiped them away as best I could.

My feet carried me onward toward what I assumed was the opposite side of the lake. I had turned back only once, but the second I saw my shadow step out from the tree line I knew this was my only way of escape. So I continued on.

A ghostly haze crept up around my feet, swirling itself around my ankles before drifting back out along the lake's icy surface. I dipped my head as I puffed out a breath of air, my eyes catching a glimpse of something under the ice below my feet.

The monstrous shape twisted and turned as it loomed underneath me and then pealed away quickly before returning moments later. It circled me like vultures would a dead animal on the side of the road. I couldn't help my heart beat as it began to race, my fingers pressing against my temples in hopes of relieving the headache that began to form.

I gasped and fell backward as the ice cracked and splintered. I crawled away from the growing hole, my breath becoming uneven. My eyes grew wide as I watched a shadowy hand rise up from the dark depths of the lake, clawing at the ice.

Its long gagged fingers ripped at the ice, gripping it tightly as it began to pull itself from the water. The devilish grin on my shadows face terrified me as he finally pulled his way out of the lake. I continued to force myself backward, but his arm extended and gripped my ankle, halting my actions.

His touched burned through my clothing and my skin started to ache the longer he held me in place. I yelled out in pain as I kicked my foot to rid myself of his grip, but it only tightened. Another yell escaped me as he tugged me back toward the hole.

"No!!" I screamed, turning my body over so I was now the one clawing at the ice. "Please don't!"

Tears built up in my eyes as they shut tightly, my shadow's throaty laugh only making everything that much worse.

"Stop!" I screamed louder at my nails dug into the ice, leaving scratches on the smooth surface as aftermath.

My body slid against the ground as I turned over to see that he was once again disappearing back into the lake, his hold on my ankle never ceasing. I gasped for breath as I scrambled to break free, but nothing came of it.

I took one last breath and shut my eyes as I was submerged into the murky waters.

.