reality | thirty-nine

"I'm a pro at imperfections
and I'm best friends with my doubt."

. . . . .

My body jolted awake, jerking ever so slightly in surprise. I exhaled a shaky breath a moment later, my muscles tightening at the movement from next to me. The tension that had built up from my dream washed away as Bryce's arm moved over the bare skin of my stomach until it lay loosely over my waist.

It was just barely light outside, my room having a cool glow to it. My eyelashes fluttered as I turned slightly to look down at the half naked girl fast asleep next to me. I trailed my fingers as lightly as I could over her spine, a smile forming on my lips as goosebumps rose up on her skin as I did so.

I hadn't had a dream like that in a while and it was unnerving to say the least. Was the medication not working anymore? Was I going to go back to the way I was before?

The negative thoughts that ran through my head were pushed to the wayside as Bryce wrapped her arm tighter around me, pressing her cheek against my shoulder. A quiet sigh left her lips, but after a moment her breathing slowed and she was once again asleep. Even if my dreams were to worsening again, waking up like this would make them seem so much less important.

I didn't move for a while, letting my fingers trace over Bryce's warm skin. I just wanted to soak this moment up as best I could.

Bryce tensed slightly once I started to move off the bed. She grumbled in sleepy protest, but eventually I got out from under her and stood to full height. I glanced back at my sleeping beauty for a second as I pulled a pair of sweatpants over my hips. I could seriously get used to this.

A half smile stayed permanently on my face as I crept quietly downstairs and into the kitchen. I read the clock above the stove to see that it was barely past eight in the morning. My smile dropped slightly as I remembered what was happening today. My first doctors appointment.

I shook my head as I pulled coffee grounds from the cabinet and filled the machine with water. With the hazy memories of last nights dream I wandered if the doctor would have bad news for me once I got there. What if he told me he couldn't help me? What if I was doomed from the beginning and nothing could be done about it? What if-

"Good morning." Bryce's touch caused me to jump in my spot and she chuckled softly as she pressed her lips to my shoulder in a lingering kiss.

I could feel my heart beat quicken as I stepped away from the counter and turned to face her. The idea of making breakfast slipped to the back of my mind as I stared down at her. Bryce's long hair was matted and unruly, but it was obvious she didn't really care about her appearance as she leaned up and pressed her lips to mine. I couldn't help myself as I brought her against my chest when she tried to pulled away, leaning into her to keep our lips connected.

"Josh!" Bryce laughed and swatted my chest in fake annoyance at my actions, though the redness on her cheeks hinted to the fact that she enjoyed it.

"Sorry." I beamed down at her, my eyes wrinkling at the ends as I did so.

I knew it wouldn't be awkward between us even though for some reason I had been worried about it after the intimate time we had spent together the night before. The last, and only other girl I had slept with hadn't been as kind. The girl had actually made me feel a bit inadequate afterward. It was one of the reasons why I normally stayed clear of dating in general, until now.

"Oh my gosh!"

My eyes quickly averted from Bryce to the kitchen doorway to see Tyler, who I guessed had arrived home late last night, as he stood there with one of his hands covering his eyes. I gave him an odd look before I glanced back at Bryce to notice exactly why my friend had a slight outburst. A low protective growl bubbled up in my throat as I shielded my half dressed girlfriend from Tyler's view.